Neck Angle On Prs

neck angle is determined by scale length & bridge height, it's not just something that is decided for design purposes.

Les Paul's have a neck angle because the bridge is so high, Strat's don't have a neck angle because the bridge is quite low. Some SG's have the fingerboard higher & no neck angle....so asking for the neck angle of a PRS is irrelevent unless you make an exact copy & use the exact same hardware.

neck angle is determined by scale length & bridge height, it's not just something that is decided for design purposes.

Les Paul's have a neck angle because the bridge is so high, Strat's don't have a neck angle because the bridge is quite low. Some SG's have the fingerboard higher & no neck angle....so asking for the neck angle of a PRS is irrelevent unless you make an exact copy & use the exact same hardware.

Thats not really helpfull is it mate. If you dont have an answer to the blokes question, why post a reply?

Ok mate, there are a few posts in this forum detailing how to work out the neck angle for any type of guitar. I would suggest you look back a few pages and you'll find what your looking for.

heres a post with a very helpfull picture and explination...

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...036&hl=neck

there seems to be a problem with that link?.....is it THIS

Sorry about the previous post, I've been trying to find a relevant tutorial or piece of info to back up what I said but got side-tracked....but anyway, no it wasn't very helpful :D

I guess I just wanted to change the question from "what neck angle?" to "why that neck angle?"

Edited by biliousfrog

heres a post with a very helpfull picture and explination...

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...036&hl=neck

there seems to be a problem with that link?

Sorry about the previous post, I've been trying to find a relevant tutorial or piece of info to back up what I said but got side-tracked....but anyway, no it wasn't very helpful :D

I guess I just wanted to change the question from "what neck angle?" to "why that neck angle?"

Thanks to all for the answer!

I'd want to know also if PRS has ONLY one neck angle for BOTH tremolo or tune-o-matic bridge or not.

Not.

Every design requires a specific neck angle, and unless you build an exact replica, with plans, of a PRS, you MUST CALCULATE IT YOURSELF for your guitar, your carve, your neck position, your bridge choice, etc. So, change the bridge height, leave the rest alone, and you'll have problems. I don't know for sure, but I can't see stoptail and trem PRS's having the same neck angle.

Prauny: the answer biliousfrog gave was entirely correct, and anyone who bothers looking at the pinned topics in various sections (tutorials section, among others) should easily find the 'how to calculate a neck angle' one. Heck, a search for 'neck angle' should throw up a ton of answers, and simply reading a book like Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' should at least provide insight into what neck angles are for....