Recording A Decent Gutiar Sound?

radrobgray

im strapping down and getting ready to lay down some tracks for my bands cd. im looking for this demo to sound at least as good (or bad) as metallicas first album. i managed to get a good guitar sound once, about a year ago, but i forgot what i did and i cant do it again. i need help, tips on EQ the amps, mic placement, Eq the mixer and where to put the guitars in the mix. also any tips for recording other stuff, i.e. bass, drums, vox would be nice too.

im using (2) sm57s, a behringer 12 ch mixer, and Cakewalk HS2002. we also have a larger selection of mics that i can barrow from my guitarists dad.

thanks in advance

rob.

For mic placement, you'll probably want to experiment, but two very common formulas that you already have access to:

SM57, only a small distance away from the grille, pointed at the centre of the speaker. (on-axis)

SM57, close to the grille, pointed at the speaker, but not at the centre of it. (off-axis)

Can't get much more classic than that.

Another popular method as of late has been using a ribbon mic, which is sensitive without being fragile (like a condenser) and hanging it in front of the cab. I haven't tried this one, but it seems like a good one.

Really, there's no "wrong" way to do it, so just grab a mic and your headphones, get someone to play around on the guitar, and move the mic in various locations until it sounds good. You can also add a second mic with a different sound/position, and then blend those 2 signals together. If you choose this method, be aware that you may need a hint of phase correction or frequencies could end up cancelling each other out and producing a thinner sound than with just one mic.

Bass-- I vote for direct-in. If your Cakewalk product has a VST wrapper, get MDA's free "combo" plug-in to add a touch of cab sound so that it's not 'as' direct. But direct bass is classic.

Vox-- completely and totally depends on the vocalist's style. If he's a full-bore screaming dynamo, then he might even sound good with one of the 57's. It wouldn't be the first time in history. More common, however, is for the vocalist to use a large-diaphragm condenser microphone. If you have access to one of these, it couldn't hurt! They're sensitive, though, so use a pop-filter (even if it's just pantyhose stretched over a wire loop made from a clothes-hanger) and try to isolate the vocalist. Many a home hobbyist has sucked up their pride and squatted under a heap of blankets to help deaden the sound. :D:D Give the vocalist some reverb and/or delay in their headphones-- it inspires confidence in the vast majority.

Greg