Cherry Neck?

I have a ton of Cherry, and long enough to make a neck-thru. Anyone have any expreience with Cherry for a neck?

In 2005 I have made a Les Paul neck and body out of european cherry. No problems where encountered, the sound is good, but brighter sounding than mahagony. Actually I like the neck PU sound on the cherry LP, because it is not muddy.

Go for it!

I recently completed a bass with a cherry neck and maple body. It has a nice "woody" sound to my ears, and I'm very happy with the end results.

Also, I very much enjoyed working with the cherry. It works easily and polishes up very nice. I used a tru oil finish and it looks great.

I say go for it. Especially if you have alot of it. :D

I recently completed a bass with a cherry neck and maple body. It has a nice "woody" sound to my ears, and I'm very happy with the end results.

Also, I very much enjoyed working with the cherry. It works easily and polishes up very nice. I used a tru oil finish and it looks great.

I say go for it. Especially if you have alot of it. :D

Just something to think about.

I just finished a cherry top on a stacked laminate job.

The botton layers are

[Walnut, Canerey, Purpleheart, Canerey, Walunt] Bottom Layer

[Maple]Center Layer

[Cherry, Purpleheart, Cherry] Top Layer

The top layers of the cherry and maple blend into one and other forming a nice blended binding effect.

However, when I apply any oil finish like linseed you cannot tell the two woods apart from one and other.

So, keep in mind that if you have something as beautiful as cherry, be careful what you place it next to, because then you start to put finishes on the woods you may not like the contrasting reaults.

Good luck, I would love to see pics.

Most of Seagull's acoustic guitars have (had) cherry necks, many even have cherry sides, and while they're not the best acoustics in the world I'm sure that it has a bigger effect on tone for them than it will for a solid-body electric. Go for it!

Oh, and for my 2 cents, leave it outside in UV light so it can naturally acquire it's cherry color rather than staining it. I never understood why people stain cherry "cherry" color, isn't that the point of using a nice piece of wood with its own signature appearance in the first place (other than it's in your pile of available wood)?

-Dave