Replacing A Fretboard

cole

I'm replacing a fretboard and I'm wondering, how thick does the neck have to be (at the heal and in general) in order to get the right clearence over the frets. Would I be able to put a thicker fingerboard on the neck and still be alright? I'm thinking it might accentuate the sound that rosewood has on the tone.

You usually can (within reason) change the thickness of the fretboard some. It depends on the guitar, type of bridge, etc. You may have to make some adjustments though: like bridge height, neck angle, maybe nut height. You need to measure your guitar (maybe draw a picture), and work out the dimensions and angles. Then you will know whether your intended fretboard will work or not before you try.

I'm replacing a fretboard and I'm wondering, how thick does the neck have to be (at the heal and in general) in order to get the right clearence over the frets. Would I be able to put a thicker fingerboard on the neck and still be alright? I'm thinking it might accentuate the sound that rosewood has on the tone.

I put a thicker board on my 1987 Ibanez Jem. The new board is 3/16" higher than the old one. Having said that, it all depends on whether your guitar can accomodate the extra height without looking stupid or having the bridge too high off the body.

My recessed Ibanez Edge trem was already very low in its route with the original neck installed with no shims. With the new fretboard, I have no shims under the neck and the trem is at normal height.

As for difference in sound, I doubt that you would be able to hear the difference in tone with a slightly thicker finger board.

As a rule of thumb, overall thickness of a bolt on neck at the heel is 1".

:D

Edited by guitar2005