Acoustic Pickup Installation

I need some help, guys... I'm looking into putting a pickup into my fender acoustic, but I'm not sure what I need to do it. If you guys could possibly suggest some long-term solutions it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at a fishman acoustic matrix and I'm thinking I might be getting it if anybody here has it and likes it.

thanks

I need some help, guys... I'm looking into putting a pickup into my fender acoustic, but I'm not sure what I need to do it. If you guys could possibly suggest some long-term solutions it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at a fishman acoustic matrix and I'm thinking I might be getting it if anybody here has it and likes it.

thanks

LR Baggs and K&K Sound both make very good acoustic pickup systems. You can study up on them on their websites to decide if either of them suits your needs. I'm not as familiar with the Fishman systems but assume that they install pretty much the same.

Acoustic pickups are pretty easy to install. You basically have under saddle types and the kind that you apply to the bridge plate inside the guitar. (I'm skipping over the mic type.) Generally speaking the only thing you need to install them is a drill and an end pin reamer. For the under saddle types you have to remove the saddle, drill a small hole in the saddle channel, insert the transducer and then reduce the height of the saddle to compensate for the thickness of the transducer. If the type you pick has an end pin preamp, and i'd suggest that type strongly, you have to drill a hole where your strap button is or enlarge the existing hole..generally to 1/2".

For the bridge plate types you simply glue them on and enlarge the end pin hole. Some come with a small volume control that glues just inside of your sound hole and come with a small canvas bag for a nine volt battery that attaches inside the guitar with double sticky tape.

simple stuff and generally no soldering.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Matrix 1 and 2.

I have had a Matrix 2 installed my dreadnought since I built it about 3yrs ago. It works great because it has a pre-amp built into the jack plug. The only thing it needs is a volume/EQ control, especially for gigging. I use an amp for a monitor and plug in to a DI box thru the PA system.

I think from memory the Matrix 1 is for smaller bodied guitars.

The previous thread is correct re fitting of the under saddle piezzo pickup. The saddle should be bone or synthetic "Tusk" and must not be a real right fit, but just slide in easily without being too loose for it to work the best.