Question About Strat Bridges ...

fyb

Is the bottom of the fretboard on the same plane as the top of the guitar, or the top of the bridge plate? (or something else??)

I only have a MIM to go by, so I don't take that as bible :D On that guitar though, the fretboard sits maybe 1/16" of the body. Does that sound right? There's something funky about that pocket though . . . I don't think the neck ever sat quite right in it (the treble side of the neck is a bit higher than the bass).

No, the fretboard sits proud of the body, even for the pickguard. Allthough mine is right on the pickguard. as far as being off on one side I dunno. maybe your pickuard is missing screws or is getting pushed up so it looks like that.

the bridge has adjustible saddles, so I assume its not level with either the top, nor the bottom of the fingerboard. (or if it is, I dont expect it to have a adverse effect otherwise)

When I was building my Strat I wondered about the same thing as the gap between the bottom of the fretboard and top of the scratchplate looked odd.

I went into my local guitar shop and the gap varied between manufacturers, some sat right on the plate whilst others were proud.

On the Fender Strats there was a 1mm ( or there abouts) gap

I preferred the gap to be smaller and so I made it that way