Neck Radius

I'm new to the building aspect as much of the work I've dabbled in is in repair, soldering, set-up, etc. I have a mid-80's squier strat (Japanese made) that has a maple fingerboard. Anyone who has picked it up has offered to buy it as it's got a great feel to the neck. I finally mentioned to a friend of mine from Toronto that I would profile it and make a neck (and the body) for him. It'll take me awhile to get started. Anyway I'm doing a lot of research and noticed in siting the Strat's and my LP Recording's curvature at the nut that the nut is lower on the high e end than the bass end. My Epi es-335 seems to have an even curve. So, my question is: are the LPR's and Strat's necks compound or is the nut shaped so that the high e and b strings are closer to the board and the top of the nut at that point sits closer to the board? I would have thought in a compound, it would start off cylindrical and flatten out at the body end. More inportantly, how would I be able to copy that fretboard? :D:D

Sounds like the nut was filed by someone that really knew what they were doing.

Yes it's a constant radius board. The frets *could have been* levelled that will make it more of a compound....

But the high E is lower, because it CAN be. The thicker the string, the more it moves when it vibrates. High E can be lower than any other string, and each larger string must progressivly be higher than the last thinner string.... So Low E is the highest, high E is the lowest and everything else is somewhere in between.

This is not uncommon, it just sounds like it was setup by someone trying to get the lowest possible action.

Thanks to all for the help. It seems Fender and Gibson shaved the nuts (get your mind out of the gutter! I didn't say their nuts! :D ) to get a lower action on the e and b strings. It was so well done it has you guessing about the raduis. Anyway, I found Brian's link for the gauges. Just laminate them, cut 'em out and you're ready to go! Make an extra set and put notches in them so can get your radius with the strings on.

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/I...us%20Gauges.pdf