I`m Starting Two Basses

goat

I know a lot of this will be personal preferences but I`m interested in some opinions just to get some ideas.

Well I have a shop full of great woods and my friend just gave me a piece of Black Walnut 18"x2"x60".

I have several bookmatched Flame Maple pieces and some Purple Heart.I want to make a couple of neck-thru bass guitars.

My question is if I make one with a Maple Top and Back with a Black Walnut core,,will it be too bright sounding?

and does anyone think a M/PH/M/PH/M laminated neck would clash with Black walnut wings colorwise ?

Maple=M PurpleHeart=PH

i think it would sound good as a body; im not a huge fan of walnut 'guitars' ( i like bass)

but just get yourself some muddier pickups if your really worried;

the neck will prolly contrast very well, because yuor purplehaert will eventually take on walmnut characteristics;

woops didnt read it right; you ARE makking basses;

they will sound awsome;

make em jazz basses!!!

Edited by low end fuzz

they will sound awsome;

make em jazz basses!!!

Yeah,I love the Jazz set-up.I have two Jaguar basses I play right now.I just got a Vintage White one with a brown tortoise shell pickguard.They only sell those in Japan right now.The other one is Hot-Rod Red.

So I`m probably going for the Carl Thompson style shape.

No I just finished a walnut bass.

It's bright, but not too bright.

If you are worried about the brightness, replace the purpleheart with something else

I thought the Maple Top and Backs might be brighter sounding than the Walnut.I want the Purple Heart in there for the bright color.

Is the PurpleHeart a good neck wood if I use more of it in the laminate than the Maple???