Bridge Post Holes

Hello all

I've run into a little problem and need some advice

I've drilled the post holes for my TOM bridge and find the holes are slightly too big and the posts slop around in them :D

Can I glue them in using a 2 pack epoxy glue or do I make a couple of dowels up, glue in and redrill the hole with a smaller bit?

Will either of these ideas work?, or can some of you recommend a better/simpler remedy?

When checking the size of the posts with a vernier their size was 11mm and I used an 11mm brad point drillbit to drill the holes

Any suggestions?

Thanx

billtheboy

I think dowels is the safest way. It's what I would do.

Note that I ALWAYS check drill sizes for new hardware on thin pieces of scrap before drilling the body. Pop a hole completely through like 1/4-1/2" scrap, and test fit the part. Even if it fits too tight, it's easy to knock the part out from the backside of the scrap without marring the top side you're gonna see.

Note that I ALWAYS check drill sizes for new hardware on thin pieces of scrap before drilling the body.

Good point, I do this too.

By the way, when I used a wraparound, I ended up using my router to punch the holes --I found a bit that gave me exactly the diameter I needed. Took a little more work to make sure the holes were exactly where they needed to be though.

Even if you do use epoxy, the anchors can still be removed using heat if necessary. However, I would plug with dowels and redrill them.

When you measure the anchor, make sure you aren't measuring the ridges on the outside. You need the hole the base diameter of the anchor so that the ridges or teeth can still bite into the wood. Plus, drill bits (and drill chucks) often have some wander in them which can lead to oversized holes (as can not clearing the cuttings from the bit). That's where the test holes come in. If it is a soft wood, like basswood, you will want to undersize the holes more than in a harder wood.