Double-neck Wiring Diagram

Hi there sounds like a challenging project.

I get my wiring diagrams from Stewart MacDonald's website and copy and paste them into a word document so they can be enlarged to the full page size to make them clearer. I use red marker pen to show the hot wires from pickups to make it clear.

The other thing I do is number the pot terminals 1-2-3 from left to right so 1 volume goes to 3 tone for example.

I think you need the digram for both guitar wiring systems and where the signal wire goes to the output jack you will need a two way mini switch to divert signal from either pickup system. So in other words, either you have the strat signal or the 12 string signal going to the output jack. It shouldn't be that difficult if you have good diagrams.

Good luck.

"Use the Search, Luke!"

obiwan.gif

The Answer, not but a day old...

Hi,Thanks for the help, but electronics are the very least of whatever skills I have. I guess I'm asking what kind of switch I need to switch between the two necks (guitars) and how to wire that switch and how to take it from there to the output jack. In advance, thanks for your patience and help.

Peace,

Dave

...I guess I'm asking what kind of switch I need to switch between the two necks (guitars) and how to wire that switch and how to take it from there to the output jack....

the only question that needs to be answered first is:

do you want a 3 position switch -- neck "a" / both necks / neck "b".

or a 2 position switch -- neck "a" / neck "b"?

At least a two way switch will be needed. A mini switch or larger is fine depends on personal choice, aesthetics etc. It will have normally 3 terminals.

The center or common terminal will be the wire that goes to the output jack and the other terminals (1-2) will be the output from either selector switch.

Edited by Acousticraft

At least a two way switch will be needed. A mini switch or larger is fine depends on personal choice, aesthetics etc. It will have normally 3 terminals.

The center or common terminal will be the wire that goes to the output jack and the other terminals (1-2) will be the output from either selector switch.

first, until the question is answered, it is unknown whether a SPDT (3 terminals) or a DPDT on-on-on (6 terminals) is required.

second, the throws go to the volume controls, not the selector switches.

cheers,

unk

:D Doi! Of course, sorry. I would like to go with a three position switch - a - b or both on at once.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

...I guess I'm asking what kind of switch I need to switch between the two necks (guitars) and how to wire that switch and how to take it from there to the output jack....

the only question that needs to be answered first is:

do you want a 3 position switch -- neck "a" / both necks / neck "b".

or a 2 position switch -- neck "a" / neck "b"?

sorry,

i somehow missed there was more info asked for on this thread.

so, if you want to use a mini-toggle DPDT on-on-on switch, start with this drawing:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...&pid=304408

the output of the volume control of one neck goes where pickup 1 is indicated in the drawing.

the output of the volume control of the other neck goes where pickup 2 is indicated in the drawing.

the black wire from the center terminals of the switch connect to the tip of the output jack.

if you want to use a full size switch, like a LP selector,

start with this drawing:

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectron...u_hh3t22_01.jpg

it's just like the wiring will be in your doubleneck, except what comes before the volume controls.

cheers,

unk

sorry,

i somehow missed there was more info asked for on this thread.

so, if you want to use a mini-toggle DPDT on-on-on switch, start with this drawing:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...&pid=304408

the output of the volume control of one neck goes where pickup 1 is indicated in the drawing.

the output of the volume control of the other neck goes where pickup 2 is indicated in the drawing.

the black wire from the center terminals of the switch connect to the tip of the output jack.

if you want to use a full size switch, like a LP selector,

start with this drawing:

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectron...u_hh3t22_01.jpg

it's just like the wiring will be in your doubleneck, except what comes before the volume controls.

cheers,

unk

Hi!

Thanks so much for the info. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Peace,

Dave

If you want any wiring ideas for a double neck, just shoot me a PM or better yet, an email. I decided against the standard two circuits connected with an LP toggle, and went for something a little different. Also, the diagram for mine is a lot bigger...

Good to see someone else doing a double neck though.

• 5 weeks later...
Do it like two regular guitars, but instead of going to the output jack, go to a 3rd 3 way switch which activates 12string, 6string, or both.

Hi,

Yes, that's what I've decided to do. I'll keep everything compartmentalized in the guitar ( and my head) and I'm sure it'll turn out all right. By the way, I'm using a splittable Chubtone humbucker on the bridge of the 12 and a Bartolini 51 on the neck. The 6 side will have a set of Van Zandt Blues Special Strat pickups. It should be interesting!

Peace, and thanks to all,

Dave

I just sent someone these diagrams about a month ago!!. Send me an email via this forum's site and I'll send you a copy of the 1275's diagram. If you have Brosnac's Electronics for Musicians, it's in there. There's also a guy selling double neck drawings on ebay. Search under "guitar plans" :D