Is A 2" Cut Of California Redwood Ok For An Electric Guitar Body?

RMS

Glue-able should be fine. I mean, if they can glue up the tiny edges on acoustic tops and have it stay I can't see why you can't do it with bigger pieces :D

Also, 20 yrs. old stuff will probably sound pretty darn good, I imagine it'll be really nice and resonant, from what I hear about the stuff. HOWEVER, unless you're specifically looking for that kinda sound in an electric (ala the kinda person that buys the fully spruce parker fly) then I'd leave that blank for cutting acoustic tops out of, OR sell it, and get some more normal electric guitar wood. However, like I said, if you do it I'm sure it'll sound good, but I imagine it'll be a very unique sound.

Chris

Redwood is a softer wood in terms of hardness, and that could be less desirable fora solid body(the finish you choose could makea bit ofa difference, but it will still be prone to dings if you are not careful). Glueing is not a problem(original tightbond will work just fine). Even very oily woods like Cocobolo can be glued with tightbond(a freshly planed surface will make for a better joint though). Wood will just get better with age so that is not anything but a plus(as long as it has not ben stored in the weather).

Good luck!

Rich

Can I recommend a "book" that tells you how to build from start to finish? Boy can I!

www.island-photo.us/mux

Enter (have to have flash installed), use the big guitar to navigate to the volume knob, there will be a full length build tutorial there for download. 35 pages, 90 pictures. It's about my FIRST build, so it shows all the mistakes and everything. Good learning tool IMO :D

Chris

PS: Rich, I recommended it for aocustic use?! :S Are you happy about what you've done to me?!

Edited by verhoevenc

Redwood is a softer wood in terms of hardness, and that could be less desirable fora solid body(the finish you choose could makea bit ofa difference, but it will still be prone to dings if you are not careful). Glueing is not a problem(original tightbond will work just fine). Even very oily woods like Cocobolo can be glued with tightbond(a freshly planed surface will make for a better joint though). Wood will just get better with age so that is not anything but a plus(as long as it has not ben stored in the weather).

Good luck!

Rich

Thank's, I will need it!! It will be my first build, and I am going to be asking lots of questions.

Can I recommend a "book" that tells you how to build from start to finish? Boy can I!

www.island-photo.us/mux

Enter (have to have flash installed), use the big guitar to navigate to the volume knob, there will be a full length build tutorial there for download. 35 pages, 90 pictures. It's about my FIRST build, so it shows all the mistakes and everything. Good learning tool IMO :D

Chris

PS: Rich, I recommended it for aocustic use?! :S Are you happy about what you've done to me?!

Nice Job, really nice! I always like the hollow body electric guitars.