Router Questions

NickCormier

Hello, thinking im gonna finally decide to go for it and try to build my own guitar (thru a neckblank)

Anyways, I need to buy a router for pickups/trems/etcetc... So I need to find a good one thats hopefully cheap, but strong enough to route a pickup and trem cavity..

I searched my stores and they used to have one on sale for $30 like afew months ago but I wasnt sure and passed, now I go back and its $100 =[[ So I was thinking about ebay.. Can anyone tell me if these would work for what I need it to do??

Im not saying exactly this one, but something like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-hp-Plunge-Router-HIG...1QQcmdZViewItem

What are the minimum requirements I would need to route pickups and a trem and such?? And what kinda bits would I need?

Edited by NickCormier

Pretty much any router will do the job for you. My first router was a pretty decent Ryobi 3/4 HP (I believe) router. It was $59 at home depot. It worked great until I upgraded to my current 2-1/4 HP Dewalt. That thing can route through steel. :D

I think the most important thing though is learning how to use your router. I can probaly still use that Ryobi if I had it, it would work fine.

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

the depth is mostly down to the router bits used...I'd expect it to plunge down to the collet at least so you should get the full bit length. A nice feature of that router is the 1/2" collet, if you want to table mount it & use long bits for cutting bodys (eg. 2") you'll find that most come with 1/2" shank. Of course 1/2" bits are often more expensive so it's worth checking that a 1/4" collet is available. Another thing to consider if table mounting is that the on/off switch isn't of the momentary type...it'll make things very tricky