J-200 Repair Job

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site, so please bear with me, i was wondering if anyone could offer any help or advice. I have recently come across a Gibson J-200 copy, and the logo that was on the headstock was coming away, so i took it off completely, or rather, it crumbled away, the thing is is has left a slight indent as to where it had been, now all i want to do is fill it in, and replace the decal, but i am a complete novice and have never tried anything like this, so please could someone advise me on what i could try and do to resolve this problem. Happy New Year to all.

below is a link to a picture of the headstock, and no, i dont want any decals, i have my own, thanks anyway.

http://images.kodakgallery.eu.com/photos21...24133_0_ALB.jpg

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site, so please bear with me, i was wondering if anyone could offer any help or advice. I have recently come across a Gibson J-200 copy, and the logo that was on the headstock was coming away, so i took it off completely, or rather, it crumbled away, the thing is is has left a slight indent as to where it had been, now all i want to do is fill it in, and replace the decal, but i am a complete novice and have never tried anything like this, so please could someone advise me on what i could try and do to resolve this problem. Happy New Year to all.

below is a link to a picture of the headstock, and no, i dont want any decals, i have my own, thanks anyway.

http://images.kodakgallery.eu.com/photos21...24133_0_ALB.jpg

Dubious, but hey. Destring, take the tuners off, sand flush, put on decal, refinish.

hi, there is nothing dubious, i just want the guitar to look half decent for my own sake, i have no intentions of letting this go, the thing is, i am a complete novice, so what you have said, has gone straight over my head, thanks for the quick response though.

Well, just don't go putting a Gibson logo on the headstock. That'll get you flamed beyond belief on here, and it's a pretty stupid thing to do.

Step 1: Take the strings off.

Step 2: Take the tuners off (there'll be a mounting screw on the back of the headstock, that needs to come out, and then there'll be the bushing on the front that needs to come off too)

Step 3: Lightly sand the headstock overlay until the indent is gone.

Step 4: Add your new decal (they should have come with instructions

Step 5: Spray or brush on a new finish on the headstock (there are plenty of threads on these forums covering finishes, search for them).

Then put it back together again.