Please Help A Noob In Need

Ezro

Hey guys, would some one be able to help me set-up my new guitar?

I am thinking of making a 24 fret strat with all custom knobs but I don't know if this neck can fit into the body and whatnot.

This is the body I am going to get http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,...rat_Bodies.html and I want to put this neck in there http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,...uitar_Neck.html

Can some one please help because i'm pretty sure that neck can't go in that body, but is there any way to like.. cut it down so that it can fit.

Some one please help, and don't flame too hard. I realize I suck :-/

Thanks,

Ezro

No it won't work...you're mixing apples and oranges. Normally, with a through neck, you'd be adding wings to the central column. This strat body requires a bolt on neck.

Technically you could cut the central column out, and keep the wings, which could then be glued onto the through neck, but that would be a waste of money.

You're better off making a choice --if you want a through neck, then get the wood and shape the wings for the body you want. Maybe someone here can point you to a kit?

If all you're after is a strat, then buy a bolt-on strat style neck for this body

well, I can't find a 24 fret bolt on neck anywhere :-/

They're all over ebay...I just bought one for $5 (has a headstock crack, but I just want the fretboard).

But there's still a problem trying to fit a 24-fret neck on these strat bodies --the bridge route isn't set for such a long neck. Probably they're routed for a 21-fret , which means if you put a 24 fret neck on there you'll never be able to intonate the guitar (it's not impossible--you could always route the neck pocket deeper into the guitar, losing the neck pickup).

Maybe if you can describe the guitar you're hoping to put together, someone can point you in the right direction.

It's probably time for you to read up on guitars, guitar-building, etc. That way you'll have a better understanding of exactly what parts you're going to need for this project.

I'd think you'd might have luck picking up a guitar that's already set up for a 24-fret neck and reshaping and refinishing it to match the body you're looking for. Plenty of near-strat types out there.

It's doable, but it won't be easy. If you put a 24 fret neck on a Strat body and keep the scale intact, you have to move the pickups to make room for the extra fretboard (custom pickguard anyone?). Then because of the design of the Strat access to the upper frets will be restricted. The advantage of having those extra 2 frets will be nil because you can't easily reach them.

This side by side is of an Ibanez RG350 and a Carvin Bolt. There are lines across from the nut, 12th fret, 21st fret, and high E saddle to show the comparison.

24v22.jpg

You could always call Carvin and see if they will make you a Bolt neck with 24 frets. It's worth a shot.

Rather than going through the trouble of cutting the body and using the wings... could he not just cut the excess off of the neck, and make a heel that'd fit the neck pocket of the Stew Mac body? Just seems a little less complicated then cutting the body all up because then you'd have to rout for the bridge (assuming he'd still want a tremolo) and for the pickups, rather than just shaping some wood to make a heel. Ya dig?