Amp

saz___69

Hi, all. I've been playing for about a year and a half and whilst I have already upgraded my gutar (From a fender squier strat to a burny LP custom) I'm still using my crappy fender 10/15W amp. I'm looking for a new setup for not too much maybe £300. I was wondering whether i could just get an all tube preamp and then a cheaper solid state amp?Or possibly even a Decent all tube effects like the damage control womanizer or liquid blues? Links:

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/....1.1.4.1-192-15

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/...1.4.1-192-14277

Any suggestions welcome, thanks. Sam :D

Edited by saz___69

well my advice runs like this...

Most people (Especially the more Rock based guys) use far too large amps... (I include myself in this)....

I have a 75watt combo (a fender 75) and for gigging I've never had it turned up to more than 4 on the master.

Most gigs you will be running through the house PA so you have to keep it turned quite low (this can make large amps sound kinda muddy).

Even in jams and venues with only a vocal PA I've never had to crank it.

A good 60Watt amp will do most people fine.

I tend to recomend 2nd hand gear if your on a budget... A couple of scuffs on the tolex doesnt make it sound any worse...

on a personal note I dont recomend the modeling amps.... (alot of people will dissagree with me in this one) But I think its better to have an amp that has two or three really good sounds than 50 kinda average ones.

And while I'm being oppinionated Valve/tube gear DOES sound better (that'd include the power section).... Especially if you want to use distorted sounds....

Edited by The royal consort