My First Proto-type

practice makes perfect!

you mentioned that you left more on the neck until after the fb is on;

do yourself a favour and put on the fb before you shape the neck. its a lot easier to put clamps on flat surfaces;

you should practice another one with a pine finger baord, and then give it a sweet paint job and like do the fb black and you could have a great present for someones wall!

i'd also practice carving the contours on the body as well.
Yes, I do intend to carve the body contours but I figure it would be easier to do the pickup cavity & neck pocket routing first while the top is still flat.

put on the fb before you shape the neck.

Yes, good tip there. The only reason I went ahead and carved the back was because I knew I wasnt going to use it.

I'm off today, so I'm going out in search of a good piece of maple. (cant find a hard wood dealer in town). Fingers cross.

O.k UPDATE!!

Yesterday I drove out to the only hardwood dealer in town's shop and picked up a plank of hard maple for my neck. I had to buy a 24ft plank (which is ridiculous) but they were able to run it through the planner for me. Oh well, I guess I have plently of wood to screw up on. I got home and cut off about 35in to work with. Here is a picture next to my pine proto-type practice neck. (please note that the maple plank is not wrapping around on the sides, that is just the grain fooling ya).

MaplePlank.jpg

Now, the neck that I am basing this off of is an 80's baby dean short-scale neck. Before I left the house I measured the thickness (of the Dean's neck) with my digi-capiler.

WidthDean.jpg

Then I measured the wood at the dealer and was disappointed that they did not have anything thicker to work with. But, cosidering that the Dean neck was measured with a fret board on... I figure buy the time I get a fret board attached to my maple, I will have enough thickness to work with. (Somebody PLEASE tell my I will have enough to work with :D ). Here is the thickness of the maple I bought:

WidthMaple1.jpg

They did have short pieces of Rosewood I could have bought. But after giving it some thought I decided for my first project I should just put my pride to the side and order a fretted neck board from stewie-mac or all parts.

It might be worth cutting the board up & making a 3-part laminate neck which, if done properly, will give you some extra strength & stability plus you can make the neck as deep as needed. I'll let the more experienced folkes instruct you further but a flat sawn neck might not be the best option.