Cort Pagelli Pickup Questions

GregP

#1 line of questioning:

So I got this really cool guitar for Christmas + Birthday, the Cort Pagelli.

It is wired up 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way LP-style toggle, + push/pull coil split.

The literature says that when the coils are tapped, it is the "outside" coils that are tapped... which I always assumed that used in combination would buck at least SOME of the hum. But in "coil split" mode, all 3 positions of my switch produce identical levels of hum.

By looking at the electronics cavities, I can't tell what's going on. But any insight would be helpful.

----

#2 set of questions:

I'm going to drop in a JB/Jazz combo. I like the guitar itself well enough to do that upgrade, and I already have the pickups lying around which I was going to use for an actual build. But since the build is far from complete, I might as well make use of the pickups:

- with regards to the coil-split mode, am I correct in assuming that the outside coils should partially cancel hum if used together?

- Is anybody aware of a diagram online for when I rewire? Saves me having to keep meticulous track of each wire as I go.

- my pickups don't have covers, but I want chrome covers. Are most chrome covers from online sources "conductive" so that they will offer some shielding once I properly ground them? Or are they non-conductive? (ie. painted plastic)

- I COULD theoretically use the existing covers, but that might require too much work if they've been potted. Do Mighty Mite covered pickups come fully potted?

----

Sorry for all the stupid questions. As I type them, I know that some of this I could find out myself with some legwork-- but if anybody has insight for any of these questions without spending too much of their OWN time covering for my lazy butt, I'd appreciate it.

Greg

-

Congratulations Greg...I bought myself a new guitar too...a squire trans mahogany fat strat....ready for sustainerizing... :D

Anyway, as usual I digress...

The literature says that when the coils are tapped, it is the "outside" coils that are tapped... which I always assumed that used in combination would buck at least SOME of the hum. But in "coil split" mode, all 3 positions of my switch produce identical levels of hum.

To be humbucking, the two coils need to be reverse wound, reverse polarity RWRP. That is the magnet is opposite the other coils and connected back to front. So, on a modern strat the middle coil is usually RWRP so in positions 2 and 4 they are effectively humbucking. It sounds like the two split coils selected are the same (ie not RWRP) so, if you set it up to select the other coil of either HB it should be effectively humcancelling...pretty much.

- with regards to the coil-split mode, am I correct in assuming that the outside coils should partially cancel hum if used together?

not necessarily...should be but may wish to check the coils by trying to stick a magnet to them...

- Is anybody aware of a diagram online for when I rewire? Saves me having to keep meticulous track of each wire as I go.

seymour duncan has good wiring diagrams on their site...that should solve the problems...look for coil split diagram...

- my pickups don't have covers, but I want chrome covers. Are most chrome covers from online sources "conductive" so that they will offer some shielding once I properly ground them? Or are they non-conductive? (ie. painted plastic)

Covers should fit, they are usually conductive to help with radio frequency suppression...they won't make single coils humbucking though...

- I COULD theoretically use the existing covers, but that might require too much work if they've been potted. Do Mighty Mite covered pickups come fully potted?

Potting of covers is mainly to stop possible vibration of the covers themselves...many pickups don't have potted covers, that's why people were able to take them off without them looking ugly and waxy!

The real problem is to be sure the screw poles and the cover holes match...should do!

I have a JB "duncan designed" copy in this new guitar and it sounds really nice...overpowers the single coils a little (typical squire things). I have heard that the JB splits nicely...will be tryiong something like this myself... Hope that helps a little... pete

...To be humbucking, the two coils need to be reverse wound, reverse polarity RWRP. That is the magnet is opposite the other coils and connected back to front. So, on a modern strat the middle coil is usually RWRP so in positions 2 and 4 they are effectively humbucking. ...

absolutely correct Pete.

but in the interest of completeness, i'll add:

AND connected in-phase.

OR they can be of like polarity and winding direction, and connected OutOfPhase..........this will also hum cancel.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I really should have waited for the strings to come off (or cough up the $7 for a new set) and some of those questions could be answered myself. Not sure what you meant about the cover comment, Pete-- I definitely don't think a cover will create a humbucking effect. :D Just looking for maximal RFI / EMI rejection.

I'll check into the Duncan diagrams. Since both are from the same company, the wires are coded the same way and should therefore make it a lot easier to find the right diagram.

Enjoy your new guitar, Pete! I was due for one, and it's really inspirational for putting in some practice hours.

Hrm... the SD site has this diagram:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem..._1t_3w_1pp.html

However, my Pagelli's push'pull is on the tone knob. Which is another point I forgot to mention-- it seems "standard" though not etched in stone that the knob nearest the bridge is the volume. On mine, it's the Tone. PLUS, it has the push/pull, which is normally on the vol, right?

I guess I could take the opportunity to wire it up that way when I swap humbuckers, but am I just crazy for thinking something funny is going on?

Greg

I guess I could take the opportunity to wire it up that way when I swap humbuckers, but am I just crazy for thinking something funny is going on?

It's not funny if you're not laughing....someone having a bad day at the cort empire perhaps...

If the pots are ths same value, wire them up just like this diagram, it makes a lot more sense. I imagine this will sort out the problem, but if not, it could be you need to swap over the wires of one pickup so that it shorts out the opposite coil...

Best of luck... pete

Sooo....

I pull'er open and now I'm kinda confused. The Mighty Mite pickups SEEM to be only 2-conductor (there is a red, green, and black (ground, I'm sure)). How can the push/pull be splitting the coils? A diagram would probably work better, but without describing the WHOLE thing-- each of the 2 MM pickups have their red wire attached to the tabs closest to the pot, the white on the middle tabs, the "end" tabs empty, and then there's a tab for ground.

The SD diagram shown above doesn't even have a "ground" tab...

I dunno. There's not much point trying to verbally describe it all, but suffice it to say that it looks NOTHING like the SD diagram. B) Are push/pull pots fairly standard? In other words, I don't mind just trusting the SD diagram, but that would be under the assumption that Cort isn't using some weird proprietary push/pull.

If I throw in the towel, how much should it cost to get a guitar tech to wire it up? :D

Also-- the MM pickups are fully potted, so I'll have to either use my covers (without holes... I kind of like the way the holes look...) or order a pair of standard ("with holes") chrome covers. The local stores seem to have covers but they're all nickel. <grumble>

--Looking at that SD diagram doesn't tell me what's going on, either. Is it a simple coil split? I feel so stupid... :D

Greg