Fitting A Warmoth Neck To An Ibanez Aanj Neck Pocket

Hi all,

I was just wondering how easy (and whether it's possible) to fit a warmoth neck to an Ibanez AANJ body?

Obviously it would be an un-predrilled neck so the screw holes could be done to fit the body, but how much other work is involved? Would I need to sand down around where it joins to the heel to get a good curve or is it so far out it's not worth the effort?

How would the standard neck width / depth compare to an AANJ pocket?

This probably isn't something I'd be doing for a while if I did, but it's always good to get as much info as possible early on :D

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend that you forget that idea. It can be done (and has been), but it is a lot more work than you think. A Strat-style neck has a thicker heel and (depending on the number of frets) has frets 22 and higher on a fretboard extension over the body. The Ibanez AANJ is a shallower pocket that extends all the way to the end of the neck. (Plus, I am assuming you mean an RG-type 24-fret body, while the Warmoth neck is probably 22 fret.) You have to cut some of the thickness off of the heel. Then you have to laminate more wood on to extend the heel back to the end of the neck pocket ... which is the end of a 24-fret neck. If your new neck is 22-fret, this would really look stupid. It has to have a headstock-adjustable truss rod too, or you will bury the rod forever. There's also shaping, etc. to do. I would have some concerns over the strength of the neck too, depending on how the work was done. It would be less work to just make a new neck from scratch. Of course, you could always buy one used, or from a number of vendors making Ibanez replacements.