Rustins Users?

nickt

Hi all, new poster.

I'm trying to decide on a clearcoat for my stained quilt warmoth project, and have been reading some good things about this product on here, particularly as I'm a bit impatient and the curing times for nitro are a liitle patience straining! :D

I have good spray equipment, so would like to spray it, so has anybody sprayed this before? did you thin it?

thanks a lot

Nick

Yep, sprayed it. Works well, very tolerant of temp/humidity variation, quick drying, and flows out smooth. It's pretty viscous, so you need slightly higher pressure (around 30psi) and you'll have to open up the fluid valve a bit. I shoot it unthinned, though I have applied it thinned as a toner coat, diluted about 70/30 thinner/lacquer.

All the guitars in my gallery are shot with Rustin's PC:

http://www.setchellguitars.co.uk/ant/blog/?page_id=18

Yep, sprayed it. Works well, very tolerant of temp/humidity variation, quick drying, and flows out smooth. It's pretty viscous, so you need slightly higher pressure (around 30psi) and you'll have to open up the fluid valve a bit. I shoot it unthinned, though I have applied it thinned as a toner coat, diluted about 70/30 thinner/lacquer.

All the guitars in my gallery are shot with Rustin's PC:

http://www.setchellguitars.co.uk/ant/blog/?page_id=18

nice site Setch! I think I'm set on this stuff now.

What size nozzle are you using. My HVLP guns all have .8. but I think I might need something more like 1.3?

Not sure to be honest - I'm using a cheap 'n' cheerful jamb gun, which came with 1 needle and nozzle, and no info on what size it is. I'd gess it's around 1mm, but I can whack a micrometer on it if you like - where exactly should I measure?

cheers mate, if you get the time, if you unscrew the air cap, underneath is the fluid tip, conical in shape, and the aperture is where you can just see the end of the needle. This is the aperture we're talking about.

I'm so fed up trying to source nitro in this country that isn't in an aerosol, and this stuff appears to be massively more hardwaring anyway, and looking at your pics, the shine is spectacular!