New Wood

ok my back yard theres a bush

and walking in it the other day and saw this bid dead trunk with no bark on

(although its dead it not rotten in any way)

any way on one side you can see that the wood is flamed from the out side

so im thinking its dead, possibly flamed, in my backyard and free

ill try and get some pictures of it but do u think its worth going out there cutting it down, draggin it back to the house and cutting it into pannels???

ok here a picture i know its dogdy and on second look i looks a big quilted

IMAG0028.jpg

Edited by tim_ado

OK, dude!

But, isn't that tree yours? If not, cut the tree very slowly, with a chainsaw, but a silence chainsaw. Then when you cut it put it on a truck, very fast, and then drive to your house, when you reach to your house, put the wood on your house, fast, so people can't see you.

Proud to steal wood lol.

i have no idea on the type of tree but im sure it wouldnt be hard to find out

diameter of the trunk in not sure but its pretty thick and i dont mind gluing to get around body diamentions

as for the branches there are none and the trees atleast 10 meters tall

ive heard of drying the wood and if need i can go to a fine timber yard near my house

im sure getting it dried would be cheaper than buying new wood

Man, there's a guy? So give him some money, and he will didn't say nothing.

yeah that guys my dad

the pictures uploading as we speak

You'll probably be looking at a couple of years drying time for the wood before you can use it, maybe more, maybe less. It might seem like ages but when you think how long a project can take it's not that long. If you can find a decent timber yard that'll store the wood at a constant, decent temperature it might speed things up a little....just make sure that they don't sell it.

There was a discussion on this recently but I forget where it was. Kiln drying doesn't involve a kiln like in pottery. If the wood is dryed too fast, like in an oven, it is more likely to split & crack & also it it drys the outside first preventing the moisture from inside escaping. Kiln drying is more a term used for temperature controlled drying with air circulation. It speeds things up but not dramatically.

Wow 30 meters before it had any branches. That is a LOT of tree. It certainly looks like it has potential for figure. Well you are wise to talk to a company that dries and mills wood(regular wood dealers would not be too up on processing). When A tree is dead and still has bark it will generally rot because the bark traps moisture(this one has been de-barked). Since the tree has been dead for a period of time the drying process has started(although it has still been in the weather, so it will not be fully dry). When you cut a log you can leave it in log form(debarked with the ends sealed) and let it dry. When you mill it the wood will need to be stickered, end grain sealed, and kept in a dry place(good air flow is best). This is if you air dry it. If you take it to a place that can mill and or kiln dry it. You will have to pay for the service. With figured woods how you cut can be very improtant. Flamed figure is strongest when wood is well quarter sawn and quilted figure is strongest flatsawn. When milling figure woods you may want to be more wasteful in your milling to achive the optimal cuts(given the figure is strong enough). If the figure is mild you may choose to go for more efficient cuts. Again though it will all depend on the type of wood, strength of figure and what not.

Personally If you have space to keep the wood dry. I would air dry(takes longer, but is safer with figured woods*as long as you keep it from getting wet or buggy. Of course you have to find out if it can even be cut. So this is all just FYI.

Peace,Rich