How Much Is This Guitar Worth...should I Send It To Paint?

HI guys B) ..........this is my first post, I need some advice please.

I have this guitar , it´s a Gibson Les Paul Custom 1979....the problem here is that it has lot´s of modifications...first of all it doesn´t have the original pickups, they´ve been replaced with a 81 & 89 EMG pickups (there was no need to make another cavity on the guitar for the battery), the volume and tone knobs are not the originals also,and by the way two knobs need to be replaced ´cause they are cracked......the tuning pegs were replaced also with new grove tuners..........ohh and by the way the previous owner paint the neck of the guitar with spray cans!( I believe the whole thing was repainted with spray cans! :D)..other than that the guitar doesn´t have any cracks ,the frets are still the originals ....the rest of the parts are original....mmm ..now ...the thing is I need to decide what to do with it, ...one option is to sell it but i need to know how much is it worth ´cause I now that those modifications lower the price , the other option is to paint it (or send it to paint best :D )....and the other alternative ,the one a luthier gave after looking at it (the best luthier in my country with years of experience and having worked and Fender USA ,Dobro ,Gibson bla bla bla) me is to keep it ,don´t paint it only replace the volume and tone knobs and use it till it lasts ...I honestly don´t know what to do? ....also if I keep it a guitar in this situation will be worth more money in ten years or so or it won´t raise it´s price because it´s not like new anymore(and because it´s a 70´s les paul :D )...it´s the heaviest guitar I´ve ever own by far and it has an unvelibable sustain wich is great and sounds really cool but only when it´s plugged (what I try to say it´s that this isn´t one of those guitar that sound amazing even unplugged and plugged sound like a dream like my gibson explorer...).............thanks a looot! and I hope I made myself clear ....AWESOME FORUM BY THE WAY

Well, the '70s Les Pauls ARE actually starting to appreciate in value somewhat. Maple necks, pancake bodies, and different electronics give 'em just a little bit different sound and a lot of players started out with '70s Les Pauls.

Having said that, being repainted doesn't help, the EMGs don't hurt (the original pickups were garbage), and the tuners are a common mod. It sounds like it could be a good player with maybe a neck refinish and a fret level. Is it ever going to be worth as much as a '59 Les Paul? Nope. But I'm sure you'll still get your money back out of it should you ever want to sell it.

I agree with the luthier...just replace what doesn't work and enjoy the guitar. If the refinished neck bothers you, you can always sand it smooth, maybe even just rub it down with steel wool.

If you don't know anything about refinishing and you really want it refinished, then have it done by a pro. Could be pretty expensive of course.

If you like a guitar, I see no reason to worry about its resale value. If you don't like it, then what's the point in keeping it?

I also can't figure out why people rag on '70s Les Pauls, too. Whether you have a Kalamazoo guitar or a Nashville guitar, they're still pretty good players. Sure, they're not as ornate or maybe as high quality as the vintage or more modern LP's, but they're still damn good guitars. I do like the snap of a maple-necked Les Paul and the only way to get that is to get a late '70s Les Paul--or a Gibson CS Zakk Wylde model for $4,000!

If the pickups aren't doin' it for you, just replace them too...