How Long For The Average Acoustic Build?

It will tke as long as it takes, there are LOADS of variables involed (general wood working skill, ability to learn new techniques, material used ect ect)

My advice here would be to NOT work out n overage time per build, you my find that you will make that a time constraint. take your time and you will make a great instrument. Rushing leads to disaster, and i know all to well about that.

And last but not least, pot pics! Its great to see an avoustic being build and you have my respect for trying to build one. Im sticiking with solid bodys for the mean while.

+1.

I think I have about 180 hours in my first guitar, maybe 150 in the second (which still needs binding, finishing, setup, bridge carved, etc.) to date. I'm not a very fast builder, and these are 'simple' instruments, no inlay beyond a simple logo at 12th fret kind of thing, but they do have binding all around.

However...one of the guitars was built over a three month period. The second has been 'almost done' for over a year and a half now, due to Life getting in the way of Lutherie (finished a few other projects in the interim, mind you...)

Man, That is not something that is the same for most builders. I can tell you it takes me quite a while to build anything. Mainly because I get little bits of time here and there. The better you have your methods and tools/jigs worked out can make a huge difference. As Mattia mentioned complex details can easily double or more your time required to build. If you are really trying to accelerate the process and you have all your ducks in a row. HHG cuts glue times. You can use finishes with rapid cure times if you are equipped. If you want to cut build time make accurate jigs(nothing else will cut construction as well as accurate jigs).

If you have never built an acoustic. Spend the time to make awsome molds, jigs, side benders, sanding dishes etc.... It will make your work faster and more accurate. The biggest mistake I think we all make is not taking time to do these things. After you have made them tasks become quite efficient.

Good luck,

Rich

If you have to make the molds, templates and jigs from scratch, it will take as much time as working on the instrument itself.

So the 2nd one will take half as long as the first.

And add 1000 hours if you do epoxy grain fill and sand by hand. :D

Yea, Im not counting those, or finishing, as its about 3 hours work, with 3 weeks dry time etc....I will also be doing 2 at once more or less, to a point, so 2 tops get rosettes, 2 necks to glue up, plane cut wood, etc. Thx

If you have to make the molds, templates and jigs from scratch, it will take as much time as working on the instrument itself.

Yea, Im not counting those, or finishing, as its about 3 hours work, with 3 weeks dry time etc....I will also be doing 2 at once more or less, to a point, so 2 tops get rosettes, 2 necks to glue up, plane cut wood, etc. Thx

Two is not a good idea on your first run at using new jigs, and techniques(IMO). If you have never build an acoustic you are really moving blindly forward in terms of brace shaping, thickness of top/back sides, bridge shape/weight, and so on. You would do well to stick with one at a time until you have your tools and methods dialed in, and you have a feel for the materials you are using. Of course everyone has their own idea of how to move forward learning these things. Just be sure you take careful note of weights, thicknesses and so forth.

Peace,Rich

Two is not a good idea on your first run at using new jigs, and techniques(IMO). If you have never build an acoustic you are really moving blindly forward in terms of brace shaping, thickness of top/back sides, bridge shape/weight, and so on. You would do well to stick with one at a time until you have your tools and methods dialed in, and you have a feel for the materials you are using. Of course everyone has their own idea of how to move forward learning these things. Just be sure you take careful note of weights, thicknesses and so forth.

Peace,Rich

Yea, it might be good to see how the first top comes out on a set, as they are the same wood.

Hey, What about 1/42 Veneer wood for rosettes? Ive seen some nice cheap stuff on ebay, do you have to glue up 2 or 3 to do this? Thanks

Do one first, all the way through, see how it goes. Otherwise you risk making the same mistakes twice in a row, since you can't 'go back' and do one of them differently. I was lucky, because my first came out fine, and I'm pretty much set on using almost the same techniques, etc., but note I said almost; there are always places to improve the workflow...

Hey, What about 1/42 Veneer wood for rosettes? Ive seen some nice cheap stuff on ebay, do you have to glue up 2 or 3 to do this? Thanks

How accurate are you? If you can inlay it and sand it level without sanding through it would work. Also it will be pretty delicate when you cut it to shape. Normally I make my rosettes .035-.045"(1/42" veneer is like .025"). You can go as thin as you can work with.

Peace,Rich

How accurate are you? If you can inlay it and sand it level without sanding through it would work. Also it will be pretty delicate when you cut it to shape. Normally I make my rosettes .035-.045"(1/42" veneer is like .025"). You can go as thin as you can work with.

Peace,Rich

Cool, - Thx!