Veneer

oobxlr8r

Ok, Total newb here. I am working on my first body now. It is supposedly a strat body but tere aren't enough screw holes in it but anyway (got it from ebay). Ok so here is what I want to do. I want to know if it is possible and if anybody has any pics of this being done. I want to put a figured veneer on the front and back pretty much in the way it was done in the tutorial. The only thing is the strat body has more curvy edges. Will this make it more difficult to glue down??? I'm guessing that i'd have to make a stopping point an dhave it only on the front and use the original wood as sort of a "frame" or something. Like I said if there was anybody with any pics of this being done on a similar body with the curvy edges instead of the squared off edges. Thanks for everything.

The "curvy" edge you are referring to is a 1/2" radiused edge.... It is a portion of a 1" circle which equates to a 1/2" radius.... You will NOT be able to bend a veneer over that edge. It aint gonna happen.

You have a few limited options...... 1 glue the top according to the tutorial, and the edge will show with a glue line at the radiused edge....

2 same as 1 but have it painted with a sunburst to hide the glue line.

3 cut down the edge of the body to get rid of the radius, and call it a "dinky". Jackson "dinky" is actually the same exact size of a strat with the radius removed with the exception of the lower cutaway being larger still to give better access on a 24 fret neck.

The "curvy" edge you are referring to is a 1/2" radiused edge.... It is a portion of a 1" circle which equates to a 1/2" radius.... You will NOT be able to bend a veneer over that edge. It aint gonna happen.

You have a few limited options...... 1 glue the top according to the tutorial, and the edge will show with a glue line at the radiused edge....

2 same as 1 but have it painted with a sunburst to hide the glue line.

3 cut down the edge of the body to get rid of the radius, and call it a "dinky". Jackson "dinky" is actually the same exact size of a strat with the radius removed with the exception of the lower cutaway being larger still to give better access on a 24 fret neck.

Thanks for the input man. I'm still lookin for pictures of this... anybody (crickets chirping in the background)...

That's a nice pic of option 2. Without the chip!

Option 3 would look like the tutorial.

I'm not aware of any pics of option 1.

Hope that helps clarify a little.

-------edit------

Just remembered- Fender has/had a bass like option 1.... clicky!

You get the idea sort of, but this isnt the best example..... This one has black fiberboard between the top and body wood to add contrast and detract attention from the glue line itself, plus the radius doesnt cross the glue line becuase the top is VERY thick, and the radius of MOST fender basses is 3/16 instead of 1/2 like a strat, so the rounded edge itself is smaller as well.

Edited by postal