Humbucker Question

carousel182

on some humbuckers it says they are bridge or neck but on these http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...For_Guitar.html it doesnt specify, if i bought two could i put one in bridge and one in neck

The reason that some humbuckers say bridge vs. neck is because the strings have more movement over the neck pickup than they do over the bridge pickup. Thus, for a more-or-less matched up sound, you want a more powerful pickup in the bridge position (i.e. more windings, more DC resistance, etc). So if you buy a pair of pickups for a guitar that are meant to be paired up in a guitar, the bridge one will have more windings and be a "hotter" pickup (generally). I don't know anything about the EMG select pickups, maybe they think you can get away with two of the same one.

Edited by jnewman

on some humbuckers it says they are bridge or neck but on these http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...For_Guitar.html it doesnt specify, if i bought two could i put one in bridge and one in neck

The reason that some humbuckers say bridge vs. neck is because the strings have more movement over the neck pickup than they do over the bridge pickup. Thus, for a more-or-less matched up sound, you want a more powerful pickup in the bridge position (i.e. more windings, more DC resistance, etc). So if you buy a pair of pickups for a guitar that are meant to be paired up in a guitar, the bridge one will have more windings and be a "hotter" pickup (generally). I don't know anything about the EMG select pickups, maybe they think you can get away with two of the same one.

Hi,

You can probably get away with them as long as you put the bridge one closer to the strings. Try to balance out the volume as much as possible with height adjustment. At 8k, these are used in modern guitars at the neck. Older hums had this much at the bridge.

Peace,

Dave