Zr Bridge Help! I Broke The Zr Bridge!

So I was dive bombing with the zr bridge in an s470 up and down. I broke the screw, its either a screw or something that was attached on the bridge itself. The part I'm talking about is the place where the whammy bar goes in. That whole piece broke in half, so now the other half is inside the body somewhere ( I haven't taken it apart yet) and the other piece is in front of me. Its just a hole now.

And this is a rental and its due this saturday.

Should I open it up and try to fix it?

Should I just give it to long and mcquade (renting place) like it is right now?

I've gone to a music shop and they told me to fix it, I may have to replace the whole bridge but the part I broke is only like a 5 dollar part. I also bought insurance when I rented this thing, I didn't abuse the whammy bar, I was just using it like anyone normally would.

What should I do?

HERE's PICS:

imga1218tv4.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/24/imga1219hq6.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6208/imga1223qh8.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1781/imga1226ep3.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8459/imga1222ul3.jpg

the part on the left goes under the bridge, then the bridge comes, then the part on the right goes on top of the bridge then the whammy bar sticks in the part on the right.

that screw is split in half :D

Edited by themetalhankey

You take out insurance to cover these sort of things, maby you should call up or go down an speak to some one at the rental place. They should be able to tell you what you can and cant do. I know if i were to take apart a guitar i rented from my local shop, any insurance i took aout would be void and they will probibly blame anything broken on me taking it apart.

On a side note, how did you like the trem when it was working. I personaly hate them. My mate managed to pull his clean off his £1000 SA prestige. not a pretty sight.

IMO a Whammy is made to wham .. if it can't then its defective. You shouldn't be able to put enough strain on a machined metal part with your bare hands to cause it to break - if anything should go it should be the strings first, then your hand .... Tske it back and complain thsty they rented you defective equipment. Don't yell, threaten or posture, just be straightforward, pleasant and businesslike.

If they pull a face or get difficult, tell them that you aren't the type to argue and ask them if they would be prepared to allow your local customer protection agency arbitrate ...

Remember, successful business with musicians depends a lot on word of mouth, good or bad.

Obviously you're not the first person to go to town on this guitar...any rental place will be covered for this kind of damage, and it's pretty unlikely it's your fault. Probably just cheap metal screws that became fatigued from the last guy who rented the guitar. I'd take it back and tell them you either want it fixed or replaced. And don't let them try to take any money from you. The guitar's not worth it.

I recently did that to my ZR bridge, it's not as bad as it seems, the parts to fix it direct from Ibanez are about $10, but since it's insured, the rental place can worry about that. You definitely DO NOT need to replace the bridge, and anyone that tells you so doesn't need to be working on that guitar...well, that's my$.02. Good luck, man!

That problem with the broken arm holder on the ZR trem is a well-known problem and is pretty common. It is the biggest issue with the ZR trem. As mentioned, the replacement part is like $10, but it isn't always very easy to come by (some shops may be stocking them now since it has been fairly common). Getting a new part from Ibanez can take a long time. The idea of replacing the entire bridge to fix this is just ridiculous.

I don't think you have any real responsibility to fix this before you turn it in, especially since you had insurance to cover these sort of things. Tell them what happened. There are lots of cases on the Internet to back it up as a design flaw. If they argue, give them the ten bucks (of course the insurance should cover it) and call it done. If anything, they should pay you the ten bucks. After all, you didn't rent a guitar to have it fall apart when you were using it.