Round File (as In Cumplianos Book) Or 6 Nut/bridge Files?

Does anyone use a single round variable file to do nuts and bridge work, or do you use the exact gauge file for strings? Cumpliano shows a cheaper way to do it- just one variable round file., unless its a $40 file. I know some locksmith files run $40.00 new...then I'd just pop for 6 files...

Edited by GoodWood

No, I don't use his method with a round needle file (I use nut files because I have them). The needle file may work well on larger strings and nylon strings as he shows, but it would be way too big to be useful on small steel strings. Note that, in his description, he cuts the slots primarily with a small saw. He only uses the round file to finish the larger slots.

You aren't going to buy a set of six nut files for $40 new. If you can find that, you have one heck of a deal. But you don't need to have the exact sizes anyway. Somewhat undersized files for the string sizes allow you some room to work and shape the slot. Two or three sizes can do the job nicely. You can also rough out the slots with just an Xacto razor saw and finish them up a bit with guitar strings, torch cleaners, etc. Take a look at some of the related threads.

But if you can find a round file that is small enough for your slots, then it should work fine too.

I use oxy cutting torch tip cleaners while not perfect are a cost effective way of cutting string slots. I have been thinking of making a holder so they can be clamped and tensioned to make them easier to use. They do seem to go blunt fairly quickly but hey they are cheap compared to nut files. I cant justify outlaying that price for the small amont of guitars I turn out. I use my fret saw to initially cut the slots then file deeper from there as most of the nut will be filed back flush to the strings once the correct height is obtained.

Melvyn Hiscocks method of calculating the proper string height at the nut is a foolproof way to go.

That is, fret the string at the 3rd fret or first marker and the string should just be clear of the 1st fret. This way you will have the lowest action possible at the nut.

Strings will work to smooth out a slot(obviously this is not going to work with unwound strings). Although it works, a $3 set of torch tip cleaners you can get at Home Depot works a whole lot better. You can buy gauged scroll saw blades that will get you right about where you need to be for most gauges(up to about the .04" range), but will still need to smooth the slots. Don't slot too deep it is not needed. Mark your nut and start your slots(to about half the largest strings diameter). Then adjust the nut down close to where you need it(leave a few thousandths extra clearance). Then fine tune. A nut requires very little slotting really. If you are slotting down from a tall nut and then sanding the top of the nut afterwords you are doing too much filing(which does lend itself to crooked slotting).

Peace,Rich

I bought torch tip cleaners and one double-sided nut file: the small strings (12 & 16). I fgure I can easily use teh good file to get accurate placement and depth on all 6 strings, properly size the small ones, and then widen up the fatter slots with the tip cleaners. total cost is about $25, and I'll let you know how it goes in a few days.

-Dave

I bought torch tip cleaners and one double-sided nut file: the small strings (12 & 16). I fgure I can easily use teh good file to get accurate placement and depth on all 6 strings, properly size the small ones, and then widen up the fatter slots with the tip cleaners. total cost is about $25, and I'll let you know how it goes in a few days.

-Dave

Awsome dave. Thanks. I found a 5 degree pin reamer on ebay for like $25.00, made in India, but everything is anyway, but he sold all of them. Are there basic 5 degree reamers out there that can substitute for a 50.00 bridge pin reamer?

Thanks

I bought a tapered reamer at my local Ace Hardware for about $15.

I was also thinking about plain wire and sandpaper. Use some kind of clamp andcinch it tight, then sand away. Use calipers to get widths, tape, to expand it out.

I bought a tapered reamer at my local Ace Hardware for about $15.

Hi Marksound, does it work with guitar pins? Is it a 3 or 5 degree? Thanks

Edited by GoodWood