Marshall Shreadmaster Pot Help

ultimecia

Hi there, im just rebuilding my marshall shreadmaster pedal, i just tested all the pots for the low output fault i took it apart for, i assumed at first that it was the volume pot but that tested at about 5 ohms? and the bass control one tested at 0 ohms?!?!? i only just recently got the multimeter but i am doing it correctly, iff the pot is giving a reading like this would that most likely be why the pedal was giving out such a low output?

jack

Hi Jack,

How exactly are you measuring the pots? 0 ohms across which pins? Does this resistance vary when you turn the pot?

You need to remove them from the circuit before you measure them with the multimeter, otherwise your measurements will be affected by any surrounding circuitry connected to the pots.

You should be able to get a static full-value resistance reading of the pot if you connect the two multimeter probes to the two outside legs of the pot. By connecting to the middle and either of the outside legs, you'll be able to measure the wiper resistance of the pot, and you'll be able to see the resistance change as you rotate the shaft. The total change in resistance from one extreme to the other will be 0 ohms to whatever the full resistance value of the pot is. If either of these tests come up bad you've probably got a dud pot.

CHeers,

Curtis.