Floyd Rose Need Neck Angle?

I'm assuming you mean the angle between the neck and the body....

If you bought the body and neck, than probably not, as long as you balance the Floyd to it sits perfectly parallel with the top of the guitar body.

If you made the body, like I did, and you routed the "neck mount area" perfectly flat, like the top (face) of the guitar then you will should not need an angle unless your neck is crooked or you like high action or your Floyd sits high or low....

Either way, put it together, string it up and see for yourself.

If the strings are too close to the 24(ish) fret, and good at the 1st fret, then shim the edge of the neck mount area that is towards the headstock.

If the strings are too far at the 24(ish) fret, shim the edge of the neck mount area that is towards the body and trem.

Just play with it.

Edited by mrjstudios

Generally speaking, if you surface mount the Floyd (dive only, no pull-up), you might need a neck angle. If you recess the trem, then you don't.

Of course, if you built body and neck yourself, you can compensate for any angle needed by elevating the necks position over the body, by making the heel thicker or the pocket more shallow....

Personally I wouldn't want the strings sitting a mile above the body.

There are several good books available for a very resonable price that will explain neck angle in detail. I, personally, like Melvin Hiscocks " Build your own electric guitar" - I believe this is the title, from memory. You can get it at Stew-Mac. I highly recommend reading a comprehensive book first before you dive in...it saved me many a time now!! The gist of it is this. If you are setting the neck so that the fret board sits right on top of the body, you will need a neck angle - see a Les Paul as an example. If you are setting the neck so the fret board is above the body, you can design the height so it matches the height of the bridge and you will not need a neck angle - many Fenders are this way. So, it is up to your design as to whether you need an angle or not. Those of you out there with much more experience than I...am I correct in this information? To the best of my limited knowledge, I am. Peace...Rog