Good Match For A Duncan Custom Custom

chennik

It looks like I may get a few free Duncans, a friend of mine asked me to install EMGs in his Jackson RR, and he told me for doing the work he would give me the old pickups, both Seymour Duncans. He got the guitar as is, and whoever put these pickups in put a standard spaced JB in the bridge and an F spaced Custom Custom in the neck, which strikes me as backward, but the Custom Custom seems somewhat more mellow than the JB and I guess that was why they did it. Anyhow, I'm planning on using those pickups in some guitars in my arsenal and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Custom Custom. I've wanted to try this pickup for awhile, but I never got my hands on one.

The only Duncan that I really have much experience with is the JB, which I can't stand as a bridge pickup, but I've found it's a good neck pickup when you match it with a really high output bridge pickup. I've done it with a Lawrence L500XL/Dimebucker with good results, and I'm going to use this JB to try in combo with a Dimarzio X2N.

Does anyone know a good neck humbucker to match a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge? I'm planning on using it in an ash bodied guitar to play some Van Halen-ish classic rock, but I like having some tonal versatility and be able to use it for alot of clean/lightly overdriven neck pickup stuff for Jazz and Blues that I occasionally play. I definitely want something with 4 conducter wiring, since I like being able to split humbuckers and I'd like to get possibly another Duncan for aesthetic reasons, so that both pickups look uniform. I'm currently contemplating the Jazz model or the 59, but I don't really know which would work better, or if there are some other good alternatives from another brand that match it well.

Anyone have any thoughts?