Solid Color On Basswood

I'm going to be making a solidbody out of basswood. I was wondering how I would go about finishing it to have the same solid color as just any solid color Fender.

1) Do I have to use grain filler on the basswood for the solid color?

2) What should I use to apply this kind of finish? Please list what products I will need, or brands you like...

I'm testing some scrap basswood now to see how it finishes and how paints are compatible with a few of my finishes. From the little experience I have with spraying on the basswood, I would say it does not need to be grain filled. I am sanding it to 400 grit before applying primer.

There are many ways to go about the finish. You can use aerosol cans or a compressor with a spray gun.

I'm testing some scrap basswood now to see how it finishes and how paints are compatible with a few of my finishes. From the little experience I have with spraying on the basswood, I would say it does not need to be grain filled. I am sanding it to 400 grit before applying primer.

There are many ways to go about the finish. You can use aerosol cans or a compressor with a spray gun.

Thanks... try to tell me how it turns out.