Rv Progress Log

DFW

Alright, so the first week of the Build session is over and here's the progress so far. I've got a full scale plan, template, body blank and tapered fingerboard for my electric. For the acoustic, it's an OM, and I have the back, sides, top and tapered fingerboard. The electric is as such:

5 String Singlecut Bass tuned CGDGC

35" scale

Bolt on maple and ebony neck with grain-centric inlay and 24 frets

Swamp Ash Body with black pore filler, likely a walnut top (we have yet to see our selection)

Hipshot tuners and a Kahler 7415 Tremolo

Bartolini MM52CBJD3 with volume, tone and mid control

ebony finger ramp

And the acoustic so far:

Bolivian Rosewood Back and sides

Mahogany neck, ebony board with grain-centric inlay

Spruce top

Edited by DFW

So this is from the beginning of today, with the top roughed and laid out with the ash accent strip and fingerboard. The top's glued up and I'm gonna rout for the accent strip tomorrow, but here's a far cry from what it looks like now:

421633200_051e96d07b.jpg

I also cut the channels for the back strip on the acoustic but that's hardly worth a picture. and I screwed up so I have to use wider strips. Woo for remedies!

Today for the electric I made a template for the Kahler route, located the pickups (now a Bartolini Musicman style and an EMG 40TW which will be covered by a top-matched finger ramp instead of ebony) and carved the tummy contour.

423703628_690da68151.jpg

For the acoustic I located the soundhole, made the back braces and cut out the seam strips. No pics there.

So I've made a lot of progress, taken very few pictures, and moved. Here is my only picture:

430963194_3c3c102d83.jpg

That's the 2 piece maple neck blank laying on top of the body with my 3 piece headcap which will be going on a headstock whose design I have no picture of. It looks nothing like the headcap though, except a little like that wedge of ash going up the middle. You can kinda make out the sun and moon inlay planned for the fingerboard (sun at the 12th, moon at the 5th)

For the acoustic we've built the back braces and glued them in, along with the seam strips, and tomorrow I'll be chiseling them. We've also designed rosettes, I'm just doing an ebony and bolvian rosewood quartered style thing, it's a three ring with BWB strips for the inside and ouside rings with slanted joints between the woods in the middle ring, with the grain going inward.

So we carved the back braces, cut for rosettes, and inserted BWB inner and outter rings. we routed for truss rods on both necks and I made a truss rod cover for the electric, seen here with headstock design drawn on.

432739320_7896ceccc2.jpg

Keep in mind I have everything against symetry. You will notice that as my projects take shape. I think it's a way to get away with doing half of the necessary work, and kind of limiting. Though it does have it's good points, it's just not for me.

oh yea, changed the electronics gain to fit with what the school could actually acquire. Now its an EMG 40 DC (bridge) and TW (neck) with a BQC.

Edited by DFW

did you do a back veneer cause you accidentally drilled a tuner hole in the wrong place? that happened a bunch in my class, luckily not to me

Nah, my headstock jumped the plastic dealy as I was thickness sanding it down to .593 and I got a divot.

Also the acoustic back is glued onto my sides and my electric is pretty much ready to be sprayed.

464754641_4903112114.jpg

did you do a back veneer cause you accidentally drilled a tuner hole in the wrong place? that happened a bunch in my class, luckily not to me

Nah, my headstock jumped the plastic dealy as I was thickness sanding it down to .593 and I got a divot.

Also the acoustic back is glued onto my sides and my electric is pretty much ready to be sprayed.

464754641_4903112114.jpg

ah yeah that happened to people too, it sucks, i double sided taped those delrin blocks to my headstock to keep that from happening

ah yeah that happened to people too, it sucks, i double sided taped those delrin blocks to my headstock to keep that from happening

Good thinkin, I'll kep that in mind for the future.

Oh yea, by the way I've glued up my sound box and in the process of sanding the sides smooth. I also fretted the bass and that'll all be dressed tomorrow or over the weekend.

Edited by DFW