Saddle And Bridge Height

I've recently set up my first 2 acoustics now they've settled in under string tension, and lowering the action on both has meant there's little saddle sticking out over the bridge. Now the string angle over the saddle must have an effect on tone, and lowering the bridge will remove some weight :D

So my questions are - how much saddle do you guys shoot for over the bridge? And what thickness do you stop at for the bridge?

I usually am between 1/8" and 3/16" final(it kinda depends on how high you set your action). I normally would shoot for the top of the bridge to be equal or slightly below the fret plane(straight neck). There is a little bit of settling that occurs but not generally too much. A quick rule of thumb is that however much action you have doubled is how much the height will change at the bridge. That means 1/16" will give you about 1/8" lift at the bridge. A little extra height might be a good idea if you use set over bolt(actually I am just thinking of future neck re-set insurance, but I don't really know if it is common practice to add that as I do bolt's myself). I hope that is somewhat helpful.

BTW; As far as depth of slot in the bridge. I usually try for 3/16"( basically same up as down).

Peace,Rich

That's about what i thought - straight edge along the neck and mark it off there.

there's currently maybe a 1/16th showing, so it'll have to be increased and I'll see what difference it makes.

Now to sharpen the block plane!