Wood Choice For Sloid Body?

I know that this might seem like a kind of strange question, but has anyone out there tried binding 2x4's or 2x2's for the body of their guitar? Or will this just make the sound terrible? I'm just looking into all this and haven't heard of anyone mention this at all... maybe because it's a bad idea, but I had to throw it out there. :D

Yes, it's been done. Some of the major manufactures will use multi dimensional pieces and paint it over. You can also check this guy for some ideas:

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/Currently_for_Sale.htm

Look around his site. He's a bit wacky, but he makes some nice gits. His newest is made out of an Ikea table; butcher block style. There's a very recent thread in the solid body chat.

There is a rather important question to ask, since you're talking about using 2x4's......

You're not planning on just going to your nearest Home & Garden center (Home Depot, etc...) to pick up some framing lumber, are you?

That wood is just way to green (wet, that is), and has to be dried out properly first.

The moisture content needs to come way down.......

plus, its a construction grade pine, and that really isnt anything used for guitar building (well, maybe the bench you built to work on the guitar?)

Go to an actual lumber store and browse through their hardwood selection, you can probaly find Alder or Maple there for just a little more then what you would spend on getting enough 2x4s or 2x2s of construction grade pine to build your project.

Curtis

If you use construction grade sticks. As mentioned above you will most likely need to allow it to dry out. You need to really look hard to find good straight grained well quarter or flat oriented grain, and no twists or knots. It being a softer wood you will want to think about how easily it will ding up, but it should be a resonant light wood.

Peace,Rich

Thanks for the info guys. The reason I was looking was becasuse I called windsor plywood and asked how much for a 3'x2'x 2" thick slab of maple and they quoted me at 500-1000 dollars. Kinda got discouraged. I don't really have that much money to drop into a project, plus that's without any kinda gear. Just looking to keep the cost down for the first one I build. They said they could laminate me a few pieces together for about $155.

I don't know anything about how I would need wood dried or anything. If I needed Poplar then I could go out to my Dad's place. He has HUGE Poplar tree's there, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me cutting one down, but then comes the drying thing again..... and I'm pretty sure my g/f won't allow me to bake some slab of wood in our oven!

3'x2'x2" is WAY more wood than you need unless you're trying to carve the whole guitar out of a single block of wood. And if you were planning that, you wouldn't be asking about using 2x4's :D. A standard body blank is more like 20"x14"x2". In addition to being about three times as much wood as you need for a body, you pay a HUGE premium on a piece that big to get a single plank with no cracks or inclusions.

Just checking LMI as an example, they have alder for $50-60, swamp ash for about $60, and mahogany for about $100.

When I was building my first guitar, I just went to a hardwoods store that sells mainly furniture wood and bought some nice kiln dried walnut and maple. I bought about 4' of a 2" thick and 10" wide maple board and about 8' of a 2" thick and 7" wide walnut board for about $150. That's enough wood for two or three guitars, including the necks.

• 2 weeks later...