Another Refinishing Job

i have obtained another great sounding classical guitar with solid mahogany back, side, sound board, and neck

the finish is too far gone to save so i'm takeing it off

i know taking the finish off a guitar is never an easy job

oversanding may affect the sound so i was wondering if the right paint stripper will work well.

The wood is not stained and has a transparent brown satin coat

would paint stripper work good?

i have obtained another great sounding classical guitar with solid mahogany back, side, sound board, and neck

oversanding may affect the sound so i was wondering if the right paint stripper will work well.

You could do a search, but I suspect your responces will be similar to the last thread you asked this question in-click

I can't tell you what stripper to use. I noticed cautions about strippers doing damage to plastic binding(that could be a possible hazard). I would think about your rosette(sometimes they are not inlayed, you may see it is just painted on) and how the stripper may effect it. I would also be cautious about glue joints such as your bridge and such.

Of course sanding definately has the hazard of sanding down some of the wood thickness, and given much of an acoustic is very thin you could do real damage.

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. Good luck with your project.

Peace,Rich

You could do a search, but I suspect your responces will be similar to the last thread you asked this question in-click

I can't tell you what stripper to use. I noticed cautions about strippers doing damage to plastic binding(that could be a possible hazard). I would think about your rosette(sometimes they are not inlayed, you may see it is just painted on) and how the stripper may effect it. I would also be cautious about glue joints such as your bridge and such.

Of course sanding definately has the hazard of sanding down some of the wood thickness, and given much of an acoustic is very thin you could do real damage.

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. Good luck with your project.

Peace,Rich

sorry i forgot about the thread but my computer runs too slow to do search to find it

my guitar has no binding at all but the rosette is painted on. One way to approach this that i came up with was to seal or cover the areas sensitive to the stripper (bridge, rosette, glue joints, etc....) and while they're protected i could use the stripper the wider areas of the guitar. After that i could just sand the sensitive areas. I think it might work but i need some feedback on it.