Grain Filler

I have black grain filler from Stew Mac that I am going to be putting on my mahogany and maple SG that I am finishing. Stew Mac says to stain the guitar first, then apply the grain filler, and then sand with 320 grit sand paper. I did a sample piece following the directions, and was very dissatisfied with the results as the stain was all but removed from the lightest of sanding. I did the same thing again on another piece, however first I used the grain filler, and then sanded, and then stained it and was more pleased with the results. Is there anything wrong with doing this? I will be spraying laquer/stain over it later this week too, so it should work out, correct? Please let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks

Right now I am also in the process of doing a sg and I am in the final stages of clear coating but how I went about achieving the cherry red to where I was satisfied with it was first I used bartleys walnut grain filler that I got from reranch this does 2 things not ony does it fill the grain and make it to where it really pops it also prestains the wood so when yo put stain on it gives it areally 3 diminsional deep wine red.Then how I mixed the red was I did the rcomended stew mac mix of cherry red with denatured alchohol then I just added some red mahogany stain till I was happy with it.

grain (pore) filler; the coloured kinds; has pigments in it, which means it will stain the wood, which is a problem on bare wood; but the main problem your having is the fill isnt doing its intended purpose; im not sure why stewmac would say to 'stain' it first; unless that their idea of sealing it!;

what you want to do; if your colouring the wood too, waterbased dye, let it dry, washcoat of finish, this is a thin sealer coat of shellac or thinned laquer; this will prevent the colour of the filler from preverting the wood, but thin enough so the little balls (thats what the filler is) can sink into the pores; you lightly sand off the excess careful to not go thru to the colour and to flatten , then finish