Supplier For Dyes & Ca

Vinny

I just placed an order with Wood Turners Catalog (Craft Supplies USA) for some much needed Black Aniline Dye (alcohol based) for the maple drop top Im doing. I noodled through their catalog to see what else I could use. They cater mostly towards items for wood turning bowls, pens and other things you can make on a lathe. They gave me free shipping because it was my first order. For the luthier they carry: thin and thick CA (and black) and the spray accelarator, aniline powder dyes, buffing/sanding supplies including micro mesh. Heres what's coming:

8oz alcohol based aniline dye

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/...mp;key=119-0101

White marble celluliod block 7/8''x7/8'' x5'' -I plan on cutting this into pieces to make headstock & fingerboard inlays.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/...mp;key=050-0157

Purpleheart blank 2''x2''x12 $3.50

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/...mp;key=207-1920

There is a section called 'turning blanks' which you have to check out. Most sizes dont exceed 12'' but a lot of it is fairly reasonable. Some woods listed include: Bloodwood, Blackwood, Bocote, Bubinga, Cocobolo, Leopardwood, Padauk, Purpleheart and Zebrawood.

-Vinny

Vinny,

Can the powder aniline dyes that say, "mix with warm water " Are the powders compatible with mixing in lacquer thinner? Say if you wanted to tint clear lacquer. I used to buy from Mohawk when they had a branch in Atlanta and if my memory serves me there were two kinds of aniline...one would mix with lacquer and the other would not. Do you know whether this is true?

Hey Bertbart, I did some reading on this last week and wanted to have the book opened when I replied. Im qouting from Bob Flexners book 'Understanding Wood Finishing', he lists different dyes to add depending on what you're spraying. Add water-soluble aniline dye powders to water-based spray finishes. Add oil-soluable dye powders to spray lacquer. The dye is mixed with lacquer thinner then the desired amount is added to the batch of clear for spraying. What I ordered is considered by him a NGR dye (premixed in alcohol). NGR=non-grain raising, it does not contain water.

He also list lacquer thinner or alcohol as a thinner for NGR dyes. I wonder if a small amout of NGR dye could be added to clear lacquer as a tint? It might be easier to mix than a powder. Realize I havent yet tried spraying tinted clear but will be trying these methods once this cold weather breaks, Hope this helps.-Vinny

Box of goodies arrived today :D . Im kickin myself for not ordering more of everything, they sell real nice stuff. The purpleheart blank is really cool, Ive never seen this stuff in person, the picture below doesn't do it justice because its really bright pink/purple. The celluliod blanks are sweeeeet, the swirling figure is pretty friggin amazing. I plan on slicing it up on the band saw and should get a couple sets of inlays from each block. They sell a bunch of other colors and seeing these makes me want them all. he he. Cool, very cool stuff. Oh yeah, I tested the aniline dye and it works like it should. Now that I have it, I can get to finishing my son's drop top Vee project. I'll update with new pictures in the build-up thread area. -Vinny

Purpleheartinlays.jpg

Thanks Vinny.

I picked up some Behlens dye tint at the Woodcraft store yesterday that will work with lacquer. I don't understand how you can get a job at Woodcraft and not know your products...three salesmen and the manager told me they were out of the Trans-tint brand and that is the only thing they offer that will work with lacquer. I started reading the fine print on the labels of a myriad of tinting stuff they offer and sure enough I found what I needed in spite of the poor service. They had a sign in the window looking for full and part time help...now I know why. :D

That piece of blue celluloid looks really cool. Be careful when cutting celluloid because if you get it too hot it will ignite almost explosively.