Internal Fuzz Face

Samba Pa Ti

hi,

i havent been messing with my guitars for a while now and decided to invest some time in my old crappy squier strat, im going to get a new body for it and then drop everything into it that i have now (maybe a new bridge), i was thinking of putting a Fuzz face inside the guitar , but ive been having some problems with the battery, first where to locate it (i dont want to rout the guitar out just to fit a battery in so im thinking of altering the circuit is the best option.

i already removed the tone pots (fuzz face controls going here) and cut the bottom corner off my pickguard so i can get easy access to where the battery will be stored without removing the strings.Blurry photo

now the schem im going off is from general guitar gadgets, Original Schematic

this uses a stereo jack to send the negative connection on the battery to ground (like a lot of pedals) but i wont be using any jacks inside the guitar so i need to find another way to cut the battery.

so here i come to my question, if i use a 4pdt switch where the 3pdt switch is wired, like this Modified Schematic

Would this wiring work internally ? (cutting the battery when off and sending the clean signal to the amp)

of course its possible using another switch but thats not really what i had in mind

i welcome any comments/advice and thx for reading all this : )

Edit : fixed spelling mistakes

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

you put the stereo jack in place of the mono one thats the output of your guitar at the moment.

so in its simplest form it would be:

pickups->guitar controls->fuzzface->output

if you use a few different pedals then its worth seeing what they all sound like with a fuzz before them.....

it wasn't until after i installed a booster in one of my guitars that i realised that boosters need to be AFTER wahs :D

i wont be using any jacks inside the guitar, just 2 wires for in and out, 1 from the volume pot and the ground (input) and 1 wire to the guitar jacksocket (output) all via the switch.

atm thats all meant to be using "mono" jacks and the 4pdt switch is meant to be controlling the batterys power on the far right pole.

you are supposed to replace your jacksocket with a stereo socket so the battery gets disconnected from the circuit everytime you unplug the cable. it will still function as mono considering your still using a mono cable and wiring your guitars output as mono. with the stereo jack you connect the neg battery wire to the ring contact on the jack. the neg for your fuzzface is connected to the sleeve contact on the jack. when you plug a mono cable into a stereo jack the cable connects the ring and sleeve together completing the circuit, likewise removing the cable cuts the neg from the circuit.

i know... but i wont have any jacks if i put the fuzz face inside the guitar. i put a 4pdt switch on my edited schematic so it disconnects the positive wire from the battery, does anyone know if that would work ?

fuzzface diagram heres the diagram again i edited the jacks out as that seems to be confusing. the switch is going to be a 4pdt Toggle switch not a stomp switch, i guess il just try it and see if it works.

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

If you have no jacks how are you going to plug the guitar into anything? :D

We're not talking about using the jacks from the fuzzface to disconnect the battery, we're talking about using the output jack from the guitar to connect/disconnect the battery - this is the same setup that many guitars w/ active pickups use. There will still be only one jack on the guitar, the output jack. Which will also switch the ground connection for any internal circuitry.

You don't want to be using a switch to both bypass an effect and turn it's power on/off - this usually results in a fairly audible pop out the amp. It's annoying, and difficult to work around.

Diystompboxes.com has a good forum where they can help you out with these types of things as well.

id have a mono one for the guitar but im thinking if i use a stereo one there and bridge the battery like in the original diagram it would still drain the battery (as the jack is connected and the guitar would be clean) :S im not 100% sure if it would but it seems to be connected.

i think (not 100% sure) that if you play with power switching before the 'out signal' then you'll get problems with pops when you turn the effect on and off.

replacing the output jack with a stereo is the STANDARD way to do this.