Rickenbacker 620 Wood

Hi. I'm going to tackle a solid body 12 string, and it may not end up looking like a rickenbacker 620, I want it to sound similar. They appear to be made of maple, but can someone tell me what kind of maple? Also is it a set neck or a neck that extends to the end of the body? I see there's a schaller bridge at stew mac, does anyone have any experience with it or any suggestions about a better bridge? Thanks

Hi. I'm going to tackle a solid body 12 string, and it may not end up looking like a rickenbacker 620, I want it to sound similar. They appear to be made of maple, but can someone tell me what kind of maple? Also is it a set neck or a neck that extends to the end of the body? I see there's a schaller bridge at stew mac, does anyone have any experience with it or any suggestions about a better bridge? Thanks

I believe it is rock maple. Their neck are a tenon joint. Hard to explain. I guess the best way to call it would be a set neck with a huge joint.

Jeff Miller has a site that does a good way of doing a good neck joint that might be easy for a non-production shop.

Although many don't care for this guy, Ed Roman sells a Rickenbacker style 12-string bridge that looks pretty nice. Rickenbacker sells a 12-string bridge, but you need to file the saddles. I have one of those bridges from Rickenbacker. It's nice. I have a couple of 12-string Rics. One is hollow the other solid. The neck is sandwiched between the sides, but the neck has a piece glued to the bottom as well. It is a Tom Petty model and the most beautiful guitar I have seen. Damn, they are nice; the inlay, bindings and wood. Everything. I can send you pics if you like.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I saw in another post of yours that you were considering the TOM. Remember that you'll have to angle the neck for that. Rickenbacker 12-string bridges are tall too, but they dont angle the neck. Instead, they just have the fretboard sticking WAY above the body. Gotoh makes a very nice hardtail 12er that loads 6 thru and 6 on top. I have all three, but I prefer the gotoh as it has wider spacing and individual height adjustments for each string. It may especially suit your 620 project (solidbody neckthru) because of the neck angle issue. Were you looking for gold or chrome? If you decide to go the Gotoh route, PM me. I might be able to help.

Rick solid bodies are neck through, the hollowbodies use an interesting set neck. There's a picture of some of the assemby here:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/factory_woodshop.asp

If you click on the "factory" navigation tab, there's more photos of their build process.