Refinishing An Old Fender Precision

Hi all,

This is my first post here but I've been reading the forum for quite some time. My question is this...I've got a 1975 Fender Precision bass that I've refinished several times. It's currently a dark green color and I would like to strip it down and take it back to it's original color, which was just a natural finish. The body is Ash. My concern is that since the neck has aged to that amber color now that if I refinish it back to natural, that the neck might look funny on it. Is there some way to get the body to look like the neck? Would I need to tint the clear coat or would poly just turn amber after a while?

Hi all,

This is my first post here but I've been reading the forum for quite some time. My question is this...I've got a 1975 Fender Precision bass that I've refinished several times. It's currently a dark green color and I would like to strip it down and take it back to it's original color, which was just a natural finish. The body is Ash. My concern is that since the neck has aged to that amber color now that if I refinish it back to natural, that the neck might look funny on it. Is there some way to get the body to look like the neck? Would I need to tint the clear coat or would poly just turn amber after a while?

I think alot of tele fans simply rub KIWI tan boot poish into the clear coat to age it.

You could tint the lacquer but you'd have to ptactise to get the right shade.

Hi all,

You can buy tinted lacquer from reranch just build it up till your happy with the color then add some chips and scratches and wa la.

You can buy tinted lacquer from reranch just build it up till your happy with the color then add some chips and scratches and wa la.

Except that I wouldn't want it to end up orange! :D But that's an idea. I would like to get it back to looking like it did.

I think alot of tele fans simply rub KIWI tan boot poish into the clear coat to age it.

You could tint the lacquer but you'd have to ptactise to get the right shade.

I've heard that about the boot polish. How strange. You would think it would rub off!