Gibson Les Paul Bass

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for help with my first build. I have always wanted to build a bass guitar since I started playing 12 years ago. I have always liked the style of the Gibson Les Paul's and I want my first build/possibly only build to be a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe shape.

The problem is that I am finding a distinct lack of resources on the internet for Gibson Les Paul Basses, I know that Gibson discontinued the bass in 2001 but there must be someone out there who has dimensions of the guitar/information.

I am planning on sticking true to the design, Mahogany Neck & Body with Quilted Maple Top. The only change will be in pickup choice and fret inlay.

I want it to be a 34" scale and i know the width of the neck at the nut but thats about it for dimensions.

Is the Les Paul Bass Body the same size and dimensions as the Les Paul Guitar?

Does anyone know where I can find information/templates?

Has anyone built one already or know someone who has who can help?

Any Help would be gratefully appreciated.

Gibsonbass.com has a fair amount of info on these instruments - more than I've seen anywhere else, at least. The LP bass was a 30.5" scale, if I remember correctly. They have full-frontal shots of most of the Gibson basses, so using a known measurements (scale length from nut to bridge, or nut-12th fret, nut width, etc.) you should be able to re-create a fairly accurate diagram. The forum there seems to move a little bit slower than those here, but someone might even be able to help you out with a tracing or something, I don't know.

Gibsonbass.com has a fair amount of info on these instruments - more than I've seen anywhere else, at least. The LP bass was a 30.5" scale, if I remember correctly. They have full-frontal shots of most of the Gibson basses, so using a known measurements (scale length from nut to bridge, or nut-12th fret, nut width, etc.) you should be able to re-create a fairly accurate diagram. The forum there seems to move a little bit slower than those here, but someone might even be able to help you out with a tracing or something, I don't know.

Thanks for the information, I have already checked the website and while it is a great resource for pictures, they don't have the one that I want to build. The Les Paul bass that I want to build is this one:

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Bass/LPDeluxeB.html

I don't know if the top is contoured or flat the picture isn't very good and finding any more detail on the bass itself, I was hoping that someone on the message board might own one or know someone who does. Because it's a discontinued bass I can't walk into a guitar store and measure the bass in real life.

I have some photo's that I've got off the internet but I can't guarantee

1) Whether the bass in my pictures are copies (not Gibson) so particular details might not be correct

2) That they are 34" scale length.

Thanks for your help, I welcome any more information that you might have.

To me, from that one picture, it looks like the top is flat and the body is a standard LP guitar size.

It almost has to be flat, because the whole point of carving the top means that the bridge should be at the highest point, and if that were true on that bass there'd be a veritable cliff right behind the bridge, since the bridge is so close to the tail of the guitar.

I say it looks standard LP guitar-sized just based on the fact that the body/neck join is at the 18th-19th fret and the bridge is still almost at the tail of the guitar.

To me, from that one picture, it looks like the top is flat and the body is a standard LP guitar size.

It almost has to be flat, because the whole point of carving the top means that the bridge should be at the highest point, and if that were true on that bass there'd be a veritable cliff right behind the bridge, since the bridge is so close to the tail of the guitar.

I say it looks standard LP guitar-sized just based on the fact that the body/neck join is at the 18th-19th fret and the bridge is still almost at the tail of the guitar.

Thanks for the help, I wasn't too sure whether it was a flat top or not as all other photo's I've seen have looked like a contoured top, admittedly they haven't been the exact same as the photo, this is half the problem with photo's on the internet, can't guarantee if they are actually what they say they are.

Next topic then is the neck, I have no problems with the angle and the headstock design question now is how long and is it similar to any other type of gibson bass in design/radius. It also says that it is a slim taper neck, does anyone have plans for similar necks?

All help/comments gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I saw one of these (which appears slightly different than the one you linked to) being played at a show tonight - body appeared slightly larger than the LP standard across the stage, but I can't be certain. Not much if it was. It did have a carved top, but the carve was somewhat more subtle compared to a regular LP, and the carve seemed to mostly go down at the edges (perpendicular to the string path) rather than the entire body. (i.e., the portion of the body under the string path seemed to be pretty much flat) There was a carve behind the bridge, which seemed to be what allowed the strings to get a proper break angle with the tailpiece so close to the bridge. There was a slight neck angle, I'd assume, as the pickup rings where both slanted and staggered in height. I know the kid who was playing it, there's a possiblity I might be able to get some measurements for you, but I don't know for certain.

That model is a flat top Les Paul bass. The body is essentially the same as the LP guitar, might be a bit bigger, but not by much. This bass is a set neck, 34" scale. Some came with Barts and preamp, some did not. Typical construction was maple on top, mahogany the rest of the body and neck. No binding on these models.

Warmoth makes a nice bass version of this body if you're not ready to build one from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, I saw one of these (which appears slightly different than the one you linked to) being played at a show tonight - body appeared slightly larger than the LP standard across the stage, but I can't be certain. Not much if it was. It did have a carved top, but the carve was somewhat more subtle compared to a regular LP, and the carve seemed to mostly go down at the edges (perpendicular to the string path) rather than the entire body. (i.e., the portion of the body under the string path seemed to be pretty much flat) There was a carve behind the bridge, which seemed to be what allowed the strings to get a proper break angle with the tailpiece so close to the bridge. There was a slight neck angle, I'd assume, as the pickup rings where both slanted and staggered in height. I know the kid who was playing it, there's a possiblity I might be able to get some measurements for you, but I don't know for certain.

I would love some measurements if you can get any. I am considering making a carved body as I think that it looks better than just a plain flat top, but I don't want to get involved with neck angles. Is it possible to build a contoured body but not have the neck at an angle at the body?

Thanks for everyones help so far.

It did have a carved top, but the carve was somewhat more subtle compared to a regular LP, and the carve seemed to mostly go down at the edges (perpendicular to the string path) rather than the entire body.

That would make sense, since a regular LP carve would require the bridge to be raised up to compensate for being at the bottom of the carve.