Maple Thieves

mikhailgtrski

Sad state of affairs. You may sometimes wonder how all the sudden there are large amounts of figured maples that hit the market. The wood is not that common, but it seems to show up as though it is. It doesn't supprise me at all.

Peace, Rich

I think there are so many boutique guitars on the market now that are really drawing attention to the figured and flamed maples. My carvin CT6M is a flamed maple and it definitley looks stunning. I can't believe these guys would cut down trees of this magnitude to grab a few body blanks.

Poaching for sure. The funny thing about it is unless they have the proper equipment to dry and mill that wood. They will get mostely wishy washy wood(only a fraction of which would be instrument grade). Most lekely they just sell the log for a few buck to a dealer or mill(dealers and mills do not pay big money for logs like that, most of the cost is in labor, equipment and space), but like Mike said, these are not the brightest folk.

Peace,Rich