Les Paul Questions

I'm new in the guitar building scene, and as I've learned from my first build, I have to do a lot more detailed planing before jumping in. This time I'm thinking of buying a les paul plan, and doing everything standard, with a few exceptions. I already have a bookmatched spalted/flamed maple top set, which i think would look very cool with a classic sunburst finish. I alo have access to all the mahogany I need, but I can also get some maple. I mentioned this because I really like Zakk Wylde's sound, and though I know most of the sound come's from the technique, I don't think it's unimportant that he uses a maple neck. Basically, I'm looking for a les paul sound with a little more edge. I don't know though, should I spring for the maple neck? The maple top I have is only 1/4", so it won't have too much noticable effect on the sound, but I'm sure a maple neck would have a huge effect. I'm also thinking of doing an un-inlayed ebony fretboard (ala buckethead). Would that have a big effect on the sound, without the maple neck?

It wouldn't hurt to go for the maple neck, and the ebony fingerboard will also help towards brightening the sound. As for the inlays, I don't know if they'd make that huge a difference but not having them wouldn't work against you.

The top you're using is only 1/4 inch thick? Do you plan on doing a really shallow carve or carving into the mahogany underneath and just covering the edges up with the sunburst? Or maybe a third thing I haven't though of...

You sure can do a maple neck on a Les Paul. Here is an excellent example, and it has an ebony fretboard as well:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=27222&hl=

Not doing any inlays won't cause any issues.

I just noticed that you said your top is only a 1/4 of an inch. I guess you don't plan on a carved top?

You'll also want to grab some EMG active pickups, which is what he uses.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

You sure can do a maple neck on a Les Paul. Here is an excellent example, and it has an ebony fretboard as well:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=27222&hl=

Not doing any inlays won't cause any issues.

I just noticed that you said your top is only a 1/4 of an inch. I guess you don't plan on a carved top?

You'll also want to grab some EMG active pickups, which is what he uses.

CMA

No carved top, im too cheap to buy maple that thick. The 1/4" set is for a drop-top.

As for the pickups, I'm jsut gona go with the Stewmac Hot Classic Humbuckers, sans covers. Partially because I'm cheap again, and partially because i hate the idea of changing the batteries on a guitar.

And i wasn't really concerned about the no inlays thing, i just think buckethead's guitar looks cool with the all black fretboard. Plus, i played on my friend's les paul custom, and i really like the feel of the ebony, very responsive.