Active Bass Pickup Problems

EKO

Hi there i recently bought a 'vintage (thats the make) v940 fretless active bass'

now when this bass works it sounds amazing. but after about 10 mins of playing i get this really loud crackling popping sound which comes and goes. it sounds sort of digital to me (although im not very knowledgeable with electronics) because the sound is very random and not constant.

its there even when the volume pot is all the way off.

ive tried the bass with many different leads and amps so im sure its the bass.

it has 1 volume, 1 bass 1 treble active EQ, and 1 active blend (sort of a fader between the p-bass pickup and the jazz pickup.

also when i opened the back up i found there was no sheilding foil, although the cavity is coated in this heavy black paint.?

i hope i have explained whats happening clear enough. any help or hints in the right direction would be great.

i got this bass for a about £140 second hand so i dont really want to spend £50+ on brand new electronics!

thanks

is there foil on the cover?

check for any loosely connected wires.

well the black paint is sheilding paint and does the same job as the foil.... but i dunno sorry.

does the bass have Preamps inside it ?

it sounds like the electronics are getting hot and then starting to sound a bit crap, i cant be sure though just a guess.

it could be the other active electronics if they are getting too hot.

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

does the bass have Preamps inside it ?

it sounds like the electronics are getting hot and then starting to sound a bit crap, i cant be sure though just a guess.

it could be the other active electronics if they are getting too hot.

im not sure about a preamp but the EQ controls have a sticky settling point which is full output, more than that and its adding to the signal, less and its just like a normal passive control.

it is like spaghetti in there... might be getting hot that way.

can nobody help me out?

i dont really want to go on stage with it this condition!

If you can see the individual components on the active circuit board, you could check or reheat all the solder cause you may have a dead or dying joint. If that doesn't work try replacing the electrolytic capacitors, they can dry out over many years. Good luck. :D