Changing Bridge

Is it posible to change my Ibanez FAT6 bridge (its a 'normal' bridge) to a Floyd Rose (NOT floating)? What are the positive and negative effects of doing this mod?

pics? what kind of "regular bridge" a hardtail strat type bridge? inform.

is it like this?

http://www.kinkomusic.com/pic/electric_guitar-9832-001.jpg

Edited by killemall8

Yea, its like the one in ur pic. its a strat type bridge, the bridge found on an Ibanez GRX40..

well, it depends. i dont think a non recessed trem woud cover up the existing holes from the hardtail. and routing the guitar without damaging the finish is almost impossible. especiall on the back with the big routs for the spring cavity. if you really think you want a trem on it.

My bridge isn't a hardtail bridge. And since i don't plan on floating the bridge, will it really take a lot of routing on the top to make it fit? i was thinking that i'd only have to route a possibly bigger hole for the tremolo block and springs? am i right..? :D

well, that one looked like a hardtail from the pic. but im pretty sure the trem wouldnt cover up the holes from the anchoring part of the bridge.

Edited by killemall8

i plan to fill those holes up with epoxy then spray then black. sure, it won't look perfect, but who's gonna notice anything unless they look closely? anyway, conclusion = its possible, right?

sure its possible, and much easier if you plan to refinish it. and you should check the trem rout first, sometimes a floyd will fit in standard trem routs, but very very tightly.

sure its possible, and much easier if you plan to refinish it. and you should check the trem rout first, sometimes a floyd will fit in standard trem routs, but very very tightly.

erm.. could you pls explain a little more on what you mean by 'fit very tightly'?

i just mean that the floyd block will have almost no room to move around in the old trem rout, but sometimes wont fit at all. if it does fit, it will be so close that it wont have any clearence to move side to side, and might not fit the bushing for the arm. but i have a rhoads guitar template that has a standard trem rout, and a floyd fits in that, but like i said, very tightly, and the intonation might be a little off. what you could to is get your floyd, take out your other one, and just see if it fits.