Yet another inlay question

weezerboy

hey

i was wondering about doing inlays on a body...would it be best to use solid material or some form of filler....also do you just varnish over it?

any tips/tricks would be highly appreciated

dan

Use whatever material does what you want it to.

Using fillers means your route has to be perfect, because the filler will be shaped to the route.

Using solid materials means you can control the image by cutting and sanding, but if you still route sloppy you will have a better controlled image, but need to fill the gaps. Fine for ebony a little, a little less fine for walnut, and pretty bad for maple.

I prefer to use solids and rout tight.

Craig

I would finish over it with whatever you finish the guitar with, but if you are using inlay materials of any kind the best thing to do is a least start out with a good sealer over it first that is good for metals. A lot of guitar fishes don't like to stick to shell.

Craig

tahnks again

what i'm planning on doing is using a CNC miller to route out the design and then fill as there won't (fingers crossed) be any problems with the design not being perfect...now for the next question....the CNC miller uses lots of suckers to hold down the work but due to a rear control cavity and the contours of the body how can i get it to stick down?

Sorry. I do everything by hand. Even my base drawings. No CAD here!

Maybe someone in techno land can help :D

Craig