Wiring A Single Coil Tele P-bass

TimTheSloth

Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted here (you're always there for me in my time of need :D).

I've been working on installing a new Lindy Fralin pickup in my '52 reiussue tele p-bass. I found out the pickup would fit in the body so I had to dremel it out a bit but other than that it seemed like a fairly simple wiring.

Anyway The problem I'm facing now is that I get a very audible hum whenever I turn up my tone pot to the point where the tone pot is worthless. The louder I turn up the pot the louder the up gets. The pickup sounds fine (excellent actually) when tone is all the way down. I'm thinking that it must be some kind of grounding issue but the wiring looks okay to me so I'm a bit baffled. I took some pictures to see if any of you can spot any stupid mistakes I made.

bass-wiring1.jpg

bass-wiring2.jpg

bass-wiring3.jpg

bass-wiring4.jpg

*In taking these pictures I realize that somehow in the trying to make the pickup fit in the body the small wires going across the side of the pickup (from top to bottom) have been cut (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/sd68teleant.jpg is the best example I can find quickly of what it should look like). Could this be the cause of my troubles? If so how can I fix the problem?

Thanks for all of your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I would venture to guess that the metal areas where those two wires that were cut are connected through the casing and I'm not really sure how that would cause this type of buzz but I guess I can solder some wire there and find out. Aside from that I'm severely confused. The extra black wire I'm assuming is another ground (in case you have a cigar cover?) but I tried manually grounding it and it made no difference. Also touching the knobs makes no difference (which from what I understand is a-typical of a grounding problem). any ideas?