Routing Templates For Ibanez Trems?

So I have an ibanez s1620 with a zr trem in it...and i dont really like it. Because of the unconventional mechanism it doesnt do alot of the out there whammy tricks ala steve vai that you can get with other trems like the edges and floyd rose and whatnot. So basically im looking for routing templates/size specs on the ZR and on preferably any of the edge bridges that have been used in the jem guitars over the years, ive been unable to find any so far. Im looking to see how much work it would be to switch the unit out, as I love the guitar and the whammy is an important part of what I do so i would like one that I am more comfortable with.

Perhaps you find some info about the route here.

Just one question. Did you try to disable the 'Zero Point System' of your trem. Maybe this could do the trick for you. Without the additional springs forcing the ZR into a given position it should behave more like a 'normal' FR.

I´ve read many questions about how to implant a ZR into a FR equiped guitar. The consens usually was too much work, too complicated, don´t bother. I think the same would apply the other way round...

hmm i suppose i should try disabling the zero point deal...is that just the metal bar with the small springs in the cavity? If youre familiar with it that is...i think ill try that first then.

Edited by guitarmonky55

The ZR is a great trem and perfectly capable of any whammy abuse you care to throw it's way. Make sure it is set up right, and I would also suggest you try disconnecting the zero-point system to see if it gives you something more to your liking.

The route is completely different from an Edge route. Changing it would require extensive filling, re-routing, re-finishing, etc. Also, as mentioned, you may likely have thickness problems putting an Edge in there with low action (you might be OK if you can track down a short trem block). I'd say it isn't worth it. You could always pick up an old S-series with an original Edge if you decide that is really what you need.

The ZR is a great trem and perfectly capable of any whammy abuse you care to throw it's way. Make sure it is set up right, and I would also suggest you try disconnecting the zero-point system to see if it gives you something more to your liking.

The route is completely different from an Edge route. Changing it would require extensive filling, re-routing, re-finishing, etc. Also, as mentioned, you may likely have thickness problems putting an Edge in there with low action (you might be OK if you can track down a short trem block). I'd say it isn't worth it. You could always pick up an old S-series with an original Edge if you decide that is really what you need.

actually taking out the zero point bar took care of my problem. Now it reacts to where I can whack the bar down and get that 'cat pur' sound like Vai does and its just much better all around. Thanks for the help everyone!