Yamaha Pacifica "black Special" Father-son Project

Well, here it is, our father-son project. My son's first guitar was a Pacifica 112J and I been a fan of these since. We wanted to do a project guitar, so when I found this black 112M sans tremolo on ebay, it seemed to be the perfect choice. I first thought we would just scrounge used parts on ebay, but I ended up buying all new. The guitar itself was almost brand new. Sigler Music (super nice people, by the way) here in AR had it as part of the inventory purchased from another music shop closing out. Apparently someone needed the vintage trem, scavenged it and never replaced it. The plastic protective film was still on the pickguard.

BEFORE

img3297cb3.jpg

And the original guts...

img3298qu9.jpg

AFTER

img3338lq7.jpg

img3339jr2.jpg

p1100755ig1.jpg

p1100756oi7.jpg

Here's what it has:

GFS Strat Vintage Alnico Stagger pickups in the neck & mid positions

GFS Dream 180 in the bridge

250k Alpha push/pull pots at volume and tone controls

.022uf Sprague Orange Drop tone capacitor

Stainless steel trem with brass block from Dancing Dragon (thanks for recommending this one lowbrow!). I think this is a Mighty Mite part, but I can't be sure.

5-position 4-pole lever switch from Guitar Electronics. I bought my copper shielding tape and wiring from these folks as well.

We decided that the black & white scheme would look cool, so I bought the knobs and switch. The 15 tone wiring scheme was done for my son by Deaf Eddie. Deaf Eddie is just about the nicest and most informative guy I've ever encountered on the net.

img3307bi5.jpg

Fitment issues were minimal. Like lowbrow mentioned about the trem, I did take a router and made an ever-so-slight relief in the trem rout for the nut that secures the tremolo arm.

The Dream 180 was just a smidge too big to go into the hole that housed the original Yamaha humbucker, so I made a small router jig and took another 1/32" or so off one long edge of the opening.

The GFS black pickup covers did not exactly fit their Vintage set, but it didn't take much to make them work. I had a fresh set of drills, and fortunately I was able to gently twist a new 7/32" bit by hand in the holes and it fit just fine. The black covers were just a smidge taller than the white ones that came with the set, but I just trimmed a bit of thickness from the flange and this worked out fine as well.

The copper tape for guitarelectronics works great. It adheres well and is conductive without soldering the laps.

It sounds great. Maybe I can convince my son to post some clips. He's the player. I'm just a wannabe.

pretty sweet i worked on one of there older models the eg112c what kind of wood was yours made of i have been thinking about working on one but was not sure how different it was from the eg. You guys did a great job i wish my wiring looked half as good lol.

Thanks. According to the specs, the body is Alder.

pretty sweet i worked on one of there older models the eg112c what kind of wood was yours made of i have been thinking about working on one but was not sure how different it was from the eg. You guys did a great job i wish my wiring looked half as good lol.

Thanks. According to the specs, the body is Alder.

thanks i love the yamaha guitars they play real nice with a little tlc you should definetly convince your son to do some recordings id love to hear it