Clear Guitar

CNC is computer numerical control - it refers to a method of using a computer to shape something.

What actually got me into guitar-building was my desire to have my own clear Ampeg Dan Armstrong lucite guitar, (like Greg Ginn, my hero at the time)

My research at the time indicated that most casting-based solutions (forming a mold and pouring liquid material in which would harden to form the shape) were less than ideal (either producing results I wouldn't have been happy with, or out of the reach of the DIY'r) and that the price of guitar-sized pieces of lexan, lucite, acrylic, etc where pretty damn cost-prohibitive. (I could have just bought the darn vintage guitar for less than the block would have cost me.)

According to my brief research, both Lucite and Perspex are simply different trade names for Polymethyl methacrylate, or acrylic glass. Same stuff as Plexiglas, which is another tradename (although it may now be a generic name?) Whether or not there are specific differences between the brands, I do not know, but it does not appear so.

I believe the literature for the original Dan Armstrong instruments advertised them as being made of Perspex, but info on the reissues seems to mention Lucite; that said, I haven't seen the Perspex trade name in a long time. But from what I can tell, any old acrylic plastic should work fine. It's certainly more dense than wood, I'd imagine. Guitars made from this stuff are incredibly heavy. I'd avoid polycarbonates like Lexan - they're generally more expensive, and in pieces this size, I can't imagine the additional durability would be needed. (unless you're really tough on your instruments or need them to stop bullets.)

The limiting factor making your own instruments out of this stuff is going to be obtaining pieces thick enough - they get pretty costly at that thickness unless you want to buy large quantities. I'm sure there are ways to laminate sheets together and preserve clarity, but I haven't been able to do it.

A scratch resistant coating (like is used on lenses made of this material) would be nice as well, and something else to look into, as many of the examples of acrylic guitars I've seen have been pretty scratched up.

When I first started guitar building I considered making a guitar out of glass, and then out of plastic, but dismissed both ideas because they would sound awful anyway, as well as being difficult to build. I'm not saying don't build one, cos they do look cool, but don't expect amazing tone out of a plastic body.

don't expect amazing tone out of a plastic body I played one and first it was the heaviest with no tone. yes they look cool I say if there hanging on your guitar room wall. you might find it to be a cool project. if you can build it then I say go for it and good luck to you

Edited by prs man

I thought the Ampegs had a great tone. I've played several plastic-bodied guitars that have come out in recent years, and they all sounded like junk. Thing was, a lot of them where no-name beaters or cheap eBay specials, and I'm sure the wood guitars coming out of those factories sounded just as awful. I have a feeling that that Ibanez sounds great as well. I don't know, I think there's more into it than just the body materials. Some of my favorite guitar sounds are old Danelectros (masonite) and Nationals (fibreglass).

I thought the Ampegs had a great tone. I've played several plastic-bodied guitars that have come out in recent years, and they all sounded like junk. Thing was, a lot of them where no-name beaters or cheap eBay specials, and I'm sure the wood guitars coming out of those factories sounded just as awful. I have a feeling that that Ibanez sounds great as well. I don't know, I think there's more into it than just the body materials. Some of my favorite guitar sounds are old Danelectros (masonite) and Nationals (fibreglass).

i'm sure that the pickups play a vital role in the overall sound of a guitar.. but do them plastic bodied guitar sound REALLY bad or are they just 'not-so-good'..?

I think that if good pickups and hardware are used they con sound okay, because of course the rest of the guitar plays a vital role in the tone. I've never heard an ampeg, so I couldn't judge them, but I personally dislike the danelectros. I think a plastic guitar would sound all right, just a bit lifeless, but then people seem to love steinbergers, so If thats the sound you are after go for it!