Shellac And Ktm-9 Opinions.

MP63

Here's what I'm proposing.

Mahogany body sealed with behlen's blonde shellac;

Stew Mac's water based CLEAR grain filler;

finished with KTM-9 (water based finish)?

Anyone see any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

How about epoxy over shellac?

What I really want to keep is the color of blonde shellac over mahogany.

That's the main desire.

Thanks,

Mike

Epoxy will not adhear to shellac well at all. Shellac over epoxy is cool, but not under.

Why not Zpoxy fill(or fill with what you prefer), and French Polish. It takes a little practice, but that is part of the fun of building. This is all the info you need to get you started French Polishing(the materials for FP are very inexpensive)-Click

Peace,Rich

it has to be dewaxed shellac and you can use it as a base and then the zpoxy >make sure you sand the shellac before applying the zpoxy it will adhere just fine. Or just do it the way you wanted but beware it will sink a little.

Yeah what you'd probably do is apply the shellac and go over it (once it's completely dry and not gummy) with 220 wet/dry sand paper (making sure you don't go completely through). You'd probably still have "shiny spots" which are basically dips in the shellac that the sandpaper couldn't reach. Then you'd apply some more shellac and sand it and repeat until there are no more "shiny spots". You should probably then go over it with 320 grit. That's what I'd do to dewax it.

:D

Yeah what you'd probably do is apply the shellac and go over it (once it's completely dry and not gummy) with 220 wet/dry sand paper (making sure you don't go completely through). You'd probably still have "shiny spots" which are basically dips in the shellac that the sandpaper couldn't reach. Then you'd apply some more shellac and sand it and repeat until there are no more "shiny spots". You should probably then go over it with 320 grit. That's what I'd do to dewax it.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

:D

dont get what wak,s trying to say here

Yeah what you'd probably do is apply the shellac and go over it (once it's completely dry and not gummy) with 220 wet/dry sand paper (making sure you don't go completely through). You'd probably still have "shiny spots" which are basically dips in the shellac that the sandpaper couldn't reach. Then you'd apply some more shellac and sand it and repeat until there are no more "shiny spots". You should probably then go over it with 320 grit. That's what I'd do to dewax it.

WAK Guitars, this is bad advice. This method will not dewax shellac. Dewaxing shellac is not done by sanding and leveling the finish as this is only a surface preparation technique and does nothing to change the composition of the shellac.

Dewaxing shellac is a process that removes the wax from the shellac/alcohol solution. Check out this article for more information: Dewaxing Shellac.

EDIT: The above article is a quick method but not as exact as using a centrifuge (but of course not too many of us have one.)

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars